1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

House monitor failure at my gig last night.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, May 6, 2017.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Just had to share. It was a rough night.

In my band we all go direct. I play bass & guitar, we have keys, drums and vocals.

The venue has a small pa, and when we showed up nothing was hooked up, and the monitors were set off to the side. I hooked everything up, mains worked fine, no monitors. They just didn't work.

We had to get through the gig with what we could hear off the mains. I was going blind most of the night. and moving my hands to the drummer's beat. Keyboard player couldn't hear me at all. It was rough.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas
  3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Probably a reason they were off to the side...

I had an IEM body pack battery go dead mid-song once. Pretty much no warning other than a few seconds of distortion, then fade to nothing! I couldn't hear a thing other than a little bit of muffled drumming & vocals! I think I got through the rest of the song OK - at least nobody complained or gave me any looks. Quick battery swap between songs, & never, ever again start a gig without known fresh fully-charged batteries in everything!

s0c9 likes this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Same here.. but ... there's always a but.. right? Sometimes I still get caught.. Mostly it's my IEM's.. They run on NiMh batts, so there's no warning. Zrrp.. DEAD. Really weird feeling when it happens. . I ALWAYS have a spare set sitting out, so I get thru the song then swap out while the front man vamps.. It's MUCH worse when the bass pack dies.
    I ALSO have a spare cable sitting out. Takes about 5 seconds to swap over. .but that's DEAD air while it happens.
    Thankfully I have not had that happen in over a year, as I monitor battery levels pretty closely.