1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOUSE OWNERS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DGbass70, Mar 23, 2006.

1. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    For those of you who own a house,i need some opinions/advise......
    i finally got my own house:) :) :) :)

my question is what is the best place to keep your equipment(basses)?

i have a finished basement with dehumidifier and my master bedroom is the whole attic......

which is the best place to keep them..

thanks very much in advance for all the replies

DAMIAN:bassist:

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would think that any room that is climate controlled and free from the threat of flooding would work. Are you sure the basement is dry? Is there a sump? The upside to the basement is you probably wont disturb the neighbors.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I neverf worried about a humidifier or dehumidifier until I bought a DB.
    Until then, I just kept my gear in a room that was relatively temperature stable. It's the big swings that cause problems. Unless your attic bedroom is well regualted, I might avoid that...

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Mine has been in my unfinished basement for a long time. In fact it rarely comes out.

It's relatively cool down there and the temperature hardly varies regardless of the season. Plus I have a whole house humidifier that keeps a fairly constant humidity level.

I figured it's as safe down there as it is anywhere. I hope I'm right.

5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    There's no sump....and it looks very dry...

thanks...

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i forgot to say the room in the basement has a heater vent..

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    1st, congrats on the house :hyper: Nothing better (or more frustrating ;) ) than owning your own home ......

As said, make sure the basement atmosphere is stable and moisture free. I've had homes where the basement seemed pretty tightly controlled, yet I was constantly making neck adjustments.

For me, I'm lucky to have a room in the main portion of the house that serves as both my room and the computer/office area. Necks are stable now, I rarely ever touch them ....

8. I have a finished basement that is nice and dry. I have a room in the basement that is all mine - no windows, locking door (keeps the kids out!), carpeted, small-ish but comfy. I have all my instruments in there and many of them I have hanging on the wall. I have not found any problems with this situation.

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i think guitars like to be in rooms that are mold free with a nice throughput of fresh air.....ie not the basement.

10. +1 with Ed -

DON'T keep them in a basement, even if it looks dry or has a dehumidifier since you're in the northeast. I've got a computer in the basement on the floor, and even though there's a sump and dehumidifier, the hot water tank is nearby. If that goes....

Also the temperature is just too strange if your furnace is there and your house has a/c.

Keeping them in a closet can also cause problems, but ours has a cold air return in it, and it never get's stuffy.

I have one of those 5-guitar stands set up in our bedroom. My wife hates it, but it's better than dragging out cases from god knows where when I want to play, and then finding out the strings are corroded....

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Being in Texas, I dont have a basement. I almost always keep my bass in its case, in my bedroom. There is a stand nearby, but I always re-case my bass when Im not playing it. It helps protect it from temp spikes and stuff.

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Since you're in a variable temperature area (from extreme cold in the winter to close to extreme heat in the summer), keep them in a room where the temperature doesn't vary that much duing the entire year. A bedroom would be best IMO. I keep mine in my home office which is between 65 and 75 degrees year-round. I would also keep them away from any kind of excessive moisture, as you would find in a basement, even with the dehumidifier.

13. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    If you really want to know where the best place to store your bass is, go to Radio Shack or anyplace like that and spend $15 or so on a little electronic thermometer/hygrometer. Most of these little gizmos have some memory so they will keep track of the highest and lowest readings over time. Don't rely on internet responses from people who have no idea how hot/cold/damp/dry your house is. Measure the levels, get a handle on the fluctuations, and then you can make an informed decision. Shoot for 40-60%, 60-80 degrees F, and the least fluctuation you can find.

Set the thing upstairs, downstairs, all over the place and keep track of the humidity and temperature. Since it sounds like the whole place is living area, the temperature is probably going to be fairly stable, dropping no lower than the low 60's F. You probably need to pay more attention to the relative humidity, which can screw your axe up nicely, while you sit right next to it feeling fairly comfortable. You want a fairly stable RH between about 40-60%. A lot of starter homes in that part of the country have forced hot air heating and marginal insulation. The furnace winds up running a lot, and the place gets really dry. This can be as tough on an instrument as heavy humidity, especially over the course of a winter.

One piece of unsolicited advice. If it is humanly possible, get in the habit of paying an extra few bucks on your mortgage right from the beginning. An extra $100 a month can get you paid off years earlier than you would otherwise, and save you hundreds of thousands of dollars over the life of the loan. For most folks at any point in time, "owning" a home really means they are in the 15 to 30 year process of "buying" a home. Most folks own their home about as much as I own the White House. I kind of have an interest in it, but it doesn't belong to me. Get your equity level up faster, and get paid off sooner, and you can quit your day job and play your bass all day.

14. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    let me explain a little better the layout.....
    basement is divided in four rooms....two finished(carpet,heat vents ,windows and all that good stuff..the other two rooms have doors to get to them..one is where the furnace is the other one is a laundry room(dehumidifier will be on this one)
    the two finished rooms,one would be like a living room and the other one with a door would be like a music room or guest room...
    the attic woud be the master bedroom(house is a cape cod) so i have a few closets two of them with insulation and of course room is heated...

15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Congratz on the house!! Way tooo goooo!!

I keep my basses in my bedroom closet.

That being said, we are currently in the middle of finishing our basement (contactors just started Monday!). One of the rooms will be my home office/studio. It'll have a walkout (steps and storm door thingie), and one half window. I've never noticed any moisture in my basement. My house actually tends to be rather dry, so we run a house humidifier that goes through the HVAC junk. I have a sump, but never even heard it running, except for testing it. I'd say, with electric basses, no need to worry unless you see condensation issues or you can actually feel or smell the humidity.

Otherwise, have at it. That is why they make a truss rod :)

16. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i will check that out from RADIO SHACK...
    is funny that you mention about the extra $100 bucks per loan payment....my lawyer told me the exact same thing....

thank you for the advise.....

p.d. hopefully i can play bass all day every day and quit my job even though i like my job....

17. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    you can walk around all you like with your meter and see whats the reading at any one particular time. Unless you want to do that all year round day in day out you will never know. Guitars are made out of wood and are still to some extent alive .....treat them with respect and keep in them in a well ventilated space. What you must not do is expose them to severe changes such as keeping them in a windowless room ...forgetting that the dehumidifier has stopped for whatever reason and then switching it on. They didnt really need to be there in the first place. I would never dream of storing all my furniture in a basement because i know that in the living room with normal conditions they will be ok and will not ever experience anything extreme.

I am acctually speaking from experience on this one.

Of couse if you want to build an underground bunker with 24 hour enviroment control .... thats your best bet....hope you can afford it....or get one of those special cases.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm glad DGbass70 posted this thread- I just bought a house too, and I was trying to figure out the same problem. My place is in Portland OR, which is about as bad as it gets in terms of humidity and mold. The basement isn't finished yet, so when I manage to scrounge up the $$$ to do that job, I'll definitely have to get it climate-controlled. And in the meantime, the basses will stay in the living room.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dehumidifier = VERY VERY BAD for wood instruments. Particularly fingergboards.

Dry environments are TERRIBLE for guitars. Temp variations are not significant. The wood is cut and dead. Any moisture that it naturally has can be dried out, but it is virtually impossible to replace that moisture in the wood. Dry the wood too much and it's completely RUINED.

Excessive humidity will in general not harm a bass. Excessive lack of humidity can ruin it.

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    congrats...
    see at the end we all help each other.....