1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

house security ideas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hey guys, has anyone created a good home security setup out the front of their place?. I was thinking small hidden weather proof camera setup with wifi into PC hard drive ticking away 24x7, is that possible. The issue is my PC pumps out 600 plus watts and would cost in power. Are there other solutions out there that might be useful?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Dedicated recorders that connect to those cameras are available, if that's what you're after.

3. Fenced yard + Rottweiler. Maybe a few pungee pits too.

4. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    +1 to the dog. Best security system available. I drive for a living and have to park my car in some nasty neighborhoods regularly and I almost always bring my dog. Been broken into several times, but never when the dog was in the car.

That said, the bundled systems that come with cameras and a DVR are getting very reasonable these days. There was a system on Woot a couple weeks ago with 8 cameras and the DVR for $169.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im not in favor of using an animal as a means of deterring criminals, but I cant say its not an effective practice the majority of the time.

Keep in mind, though, that not all people are deterred by dogs, and they're also very easy to drug and have fall asleep, if the would be robber has the time & means.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    ADT

7. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    How about just a big ass bone in your front yard . I'm talking one big enough to trip over !

8. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I think it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish from a big picture stand point. Dogs are great but a dog that will defend property is a serious responsibility in SOME areas. In the suburbs a good deal of careful thought have to be placed into a dog(s) as there is a potential liability issue that a sign doesn't necessarily cover (small children: reading & comprehension).
    I live a very rural area. My needs are different and the laws of my state may be very different. Take time and research the issue. A camera and signs may suffice. If not, then learn all the potential pit-falls of dogs, electric fence, guns, laser-painted missile strikes, etc.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Let's keep in mind people that it was him getting rid of his neighbor's dog that is spurring his need to get a security system to protect himself - from his own neighbors. A dog would not be a good choice in this situation.

10. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a corner lot with mercury lights on all 4 sides of my house, a German Shepherd that patrols my perimeter of my back yard when we are home and she lets us know when anyone or anything walks to the front or street-side of the house. The German Shepherd stays in-doors, uncaged when we are not home. She makes her presence VERY known, inside and outside. Also, if someone decides to get brave and enter my house, I have an Alarm that calls the cops. Furthermore, I hold an FFL and a large, well-oiled, locked and loaded collection because of said FFL. Feelin' lucky, punk?:D

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    See bolded statement.
    So long as his dog can keep quiet when need be it could still be a good choice. Though there is potential for the neighbors to harm his dog out of spite.

12. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    What's the point of a quiet dog if the point of said dog is to fend off people? Not to mention how expensive dogs are to keep and maintain. I also wouldn't be surprised if his neighbors would end up trying to get the dog to bark so that they can get the dog removed as payback for him getting their dog taken away.

*edit* In addition, a dog that's indoors is going to do little to stop someone outside from doing vandalism outside the house (like the eggs on the front door). A dog barking when no one is home isn't going to do much to stop people who know your schedule and can do the vandalism when you're gone. A camera, however, might deter them if they know it's there, and more importantly it will catch them in the act if they don't.

13. Well, in my home the first line of defense is a laser tripwire that alerts me to intruders on the property. Course, it's more of a show for me, cause I'm in no real danger unless the intruder manages the cross gater filled moat and the 8 foot razor wire fence. After that it's normal household security like a deadbolt and a hallway full of banana peels, but lord help him if he goes upstairs. I've got a series of loaded shotguns facing the stairwell that I have to disarm every morning before work.

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I agree with you, really. Like I said, I personally dont like the idea of keeping a dog for security.
    But, a dog's bark is only a small part of a deterrent, IMO. I had a dog once that never barked at people, only at other dogs. Someone could have entered our backyard without a problem.
    I think a dog's use as a security measure is to deter them from entering the yard for fear of being bitten. You'd be surprised how many people are scared of dogs, even the most unintimidating dogs.
    Not that a barking dog isnt also useful, just not its only means in deterring would be burglers.

Also, suppose the homeowner is away at the store when an intruder tries to enter the yard. Yeah, the barking might scare them away, but suppose it doesnt, not too many neighbors run to the windows to see why their neighbors dog is barking. And then, some dogs bark is worse than their bite.

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I gotcha, I wasn't arguing with you :) I was just saying that in his particular case, and since I know exactly why he's looking for some sort of security system, it seems silly to get a dog. I really think a camera is a much better idea for his situation. Besides, his neighbors clearly aren't afraid of dogs, so I doubt him getting one would deter them at all.

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, I agree. Especially because of his situation. Thats why I made the comment about the potential of the neighbors harming the dog.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Build your own automated system. Get something like an Arduino Uno Microcontroller, program a few cameras to be triggered from it. Use anything you want as a trigger - sound, movement, light. You could even have it send an e-mail or something like that too. Lots of possibilities out there, and pretty easy to do, if you DIY.

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Lights.

19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    A moat, a tar pit and some bear traps.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I keep a Chinchilla by my front door.
    How it secures my house I am unsure, but Ive yet to have a break in.