Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Household stuff to dull my strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I want my mixed set of rounds that are on my jazz to be a lot more flatwound like. I love that bassy tone, but hate the feel. So what can I put on my strings (besides a mute, Ive tried that, it was too much) to make them a little more dead. I tried vasoline, but it didnt work to well, just make them feel weird (I did wipe off the excess), any ideas?

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    try weight 40 motor oil. :D

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    What about stringing your bass with halfwound strings? The best of both worlds...

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I remember reading years ago where one of the old school guys (I think it was David Crosby) used to soak his new strings in barbecue sauce to deaden them.

I'd be more inclined to just go eat a bunch of ribs and then play my bass without washing up first.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    quote: I'd be more inclined to just go eat a bunch of ribs and then play my bass without washing up first. end quote

sounds like a good idea to me :D . On the subject though, i'm thinkin if you just try & your strings dirty that'd deadend them some or just play them till they go dead. Hope ya figure out how. thats all

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    B-12 chemtool, its a carb cleaner you can get at autozone. I used it once to try and clean my strings when I put them back on they where dead as doornail. I thought it would clean them but you could tell they even felt different.

7. Thanks for the help, I might just try the BBQ sause thing. I tried vasoline, didnt do much. My Mom did give me a funny look when she found the open jar of vasoline in my room :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. nofxbasspunk87

nofxbasspunk87

Aug 20, 2001
    i tried to clean my strings once and i tried a stridex pad, it killed em, but it made them sound like a standup bass, sounds kewl