Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Housekeeping time again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, May 9, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Right, procrastination and boredom have lead me to this. Seeing how Oysterman has decided to hand over semi-control of this forum to Hunter, I thought I'd post a few things that will make Hunter's job and mine a little bit easier. Thankfully, I haven't encountered too many problems, but it's worth pointing these things out to people, so they can have no excuses. (Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?)

Obviously, these complement the forum rules, which can be found at http://www.talkbass.com/forumrules.php. They're also mostly specific to the Amps forum, but I'm sure that the majority of them will apply to the other forums. Anyway, here we go...
    • Be careful where you're posting - Not really a problem in this forum, but try and be sure that when you start a thread, it belongs in the correct forum. It's pretty hard to get mixed up, but just in case... Amps specifically pertains to amplifiers - i.e. combos, amp heads, speakers, and preamps. When it doubt, send it to Miscellaneous and let Big Wheel deal with it. ;)
    • Help others to help you - One thing that a few people have mentioned is that often, people will ask very generic questions, like "What is a loud amp with a good tone?", without giving anyone any idea of what their current set up is. Without this sort of information, people will either ignore the question, or may give you useless device. (i.e. telling a 15 year old to get a Fafner or Eden, or a pro of 30 years to go and get a 50 watt Carvin combo). Try and give people as much relevant information as you can in the original post or, better yet, fill in your profile. It's not too much of an effort, really...

Edit - Try to make your thread title as informative as possible, too. Unlike me, most people don't bother to read every thread here, and are unlikely to bother with one called "Amp" or "Help!". Try to give people an idea of what they'll be reading should they click on your thread.
    • Everybody has a right to their opinion. - Since I picked up my omniring, there haven't really been any real kerfuffles over this, but a glance at some past threads will indicate that it's something of a powder keg. Everyone has an opinion, but some people get rather too attached to them, and tend not to look favourably upon those who disagree. Consider these two statements:

Which one of those do you think will get flamed the most? Now, I don't like people who try to force their opinions on everyone - their comments rarely do anything except enrage others, and are mostly childish attempts to gain attention, rather than legitimate contributions to a discussion. I won't tolerate anything like that, and that sort of crap will be deleted without warning, until you learn to phrase your opinions better. You have been warned.

(On a similar note, don't take people's opinions as gospel. Like most things, amps are a matter of taste. By all means, ask the esteemed posters here for advice, but ultimately you've got to decide for yourself what you want from an amp.)
    • TRY 2 RITE AS CLERLY AS POSS CUS ITS HARD 2 UNDRSTND YR PSTS IF U DONT - You're not in a chatroom or writing a message on a mobile phone. Please, try to make the effort to make your posts as clear to read as you possibly can. I realise that not everybody here speaks English as their first language, which is fair enough, but there really is no excuse for everyone else writing sloppily. Spend the extra minute re-reading what you've typed, and the chances of a favourable reply will increase. If people can't understand your post, they're not going to reply. Except to cuss your grammar.

Edit - Oh, and Lizardking is right. Don't write in all caps. IT CAN BE VERY ANNOYING.
    • Use the search facility! - Before starting a new thread, use the search facility available at the top of the page, (or here - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php) to ensure your question hasn't already been answered six times before. As well as ensuring that you won't have any irritable people pointing you in this direction, you'll hopefully have the answers to your question straight away, without having to wait for people to reply to your thread.
    • Try to keep the place tidy yourself! - Just a minor thing, this. If you post twice by mistake, go back and delete one of your posts - don't post "Oops! Sorry for posting twice!". These sort of things take up precious, precious bandwidth. Also, if you start a thread, and no-one replies to it within half an hour or so, please don't start posting crap like "HELLO?" or "ANYONE???" - patience is a virture, young man.

That's about it, just one more...
    • Don't boast if you happen to attend Berklee. - People won't think any better of you. ;)
    I think that just about covers everything. You know the score - if you're not happy with anything, let me know. And happy posting!

2. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU!? I WENT TO BERKLEE! :rolleyes:

Oh yea, and dont post in all caps.. we dont like yellers..hehe

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Correct, LizardKing. (Well, about writing in caps) I've added it to the original post.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I claim exemption to all these rules. I don't need government. But you do.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anything else wouldn't be the same.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm glad somebody is lookin' out for me? I've been on here as much as possible, but have found absolutely nothing to moderate!! I read all the posts, but find nothing....yawnsie beat me to the one that I was gonna fix (the double post by benjamintowle)!

Thanks yawnsie....glad for the help:)

7. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Great points, every one.

I just have a question about the search function. Is there a way to limit my searches to just the subject lines of threads instead of every post?

For example, last week I was researching Carvin amps and when I did a search in Amps, the search engine returned every single post that included the word Carvin. If I could have limited my search to just the titles of the threads, I imagine I would have received far fewer and more relevant results. Faced with the task of wading through such a huge pile of posts, it is tempting just to start a new thread on the subject. I dunno, maybe I'm just being lazy :p.

Anyway, I'm psyched to have found this place. I visit a couple of different online forums, and this one is the most laid back and helpful.

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Bring it on, baby... It'll be good for giving Hunter a bit of practice.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Just thought I'd bump this up to the top - gotta keep you all on your toes.