Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Housing Cost around the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alembic76407, Sep 12, 2004.

1. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    How much would a 1200 foot, 3 bedroom house in your town cost?
    they are going for $80,000 in the Okla,City area

David T

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    $400k if you're lucky.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm no expert, but I think about 1/4 mil. would be average for Seattle.

4. I don't think they exist where I live...

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Maybe in east palo alto :D

;)

We are screwed buddy :D

Cheers

6. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    $80k-1mil+

Depends where it is, we have a sharp contrast in income around these parts. There are some section 8 apartments around here and million dollar ranch homes a couple miles away.

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Single Family Lot? 1/5th Acre? $400,000 with or with out a house in Northern Virginia Suburbs outside Washington DC.

8. Depends on the area. 3 bedroom would probably run on average $150,000 CAD (so a little more than $100,000 US).

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    $80 to $100K in western NY.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well we were originally going to get a brand new 4bdrm but small house, I think around 1400 sq ft for $98,000 in Waco. Then we decided it was too close to a growing airport (although the people in that neighborhood said it wasn't bothersome) so we ended up buying an 11 year old house in a different part of town that was about the same size but with only 3 bedrooms for slightly more.

brad cook

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Probably 200k in the High Desert of SoCal. It's ridiculous, just today I stopped at a home construction site to check it out. There were quite a few pieces of ROTTING wood in the bearing walls, and the nail work was pretty shoddy in spots. Not only that, but they destroyed almost all the creasote bushes on the lot, and trash abounds. Somebodys also been dumping construction garbage down our street. This is pathetic. These homes are NOT worth 200k! The builders/developers are quite simply just being extremely greedy and probably wasteful.

Mini Rant: Why is it that technology has gotten so cheap that almost EVERYBODY can afford "luxuries" like computers, cd players, tv's etc.... But the basic costs of living (ie house prices) have become so engorged that you need to make 100k a year to CONSIDER buying a decent home in a decent neighborhood??

Here's to hoping I can get a construction loan in a few years so I can build my straw bale house.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    550.000$ and up.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In the suburb that I live in...for a 3brd house with parking and views...$2mil-6mil

For a 3brd apartment with parking $1mil-$2mil

No parking around $1mil

There arn't many houses where I live - mostly apartments of 1-2brd size.

I don't own a house / apartment...just rent! :(

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Just the facts, Man:

1. 1,400 sq. feet

2. 1/2 acre lot

3. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths

4. Entry price five years ago = $280,000

5. Recent sales of similar units = $450,000 - $500,000

6. San Francisco East Bay area

7. Home Ownership? Priceless!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow man...you'd have to work at Wal-Mart or something to afford the houses at the prices you people are quoting.

brad cook

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    USD700,000 - 800,000

Plus, you need to put 20% down.

17. Yeah, but you live in Sydney. :D

I'm not sure of the price here for that kinda house (Adelaide, South Australia), though they're really cheap compared to Sydney (for a variety of reasons, of course.)

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The primary reason being that they are in Adelaide and no one wants to live there :D hahaha :bag:

19. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    $50K - $70K around Smalltown USA over here.

That's for a good neighborhood in town. You want to live in an exclusive suburb in this town of 15,000, triple that to start.

20. Judge

Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Dubai
    What's this $70k/$80k housing like? I'm living in the wrong area. Here in Dubai a small three bedroom house would probably be around $250,000 and back in Northampton in the UK we recently sold our small three bedroom house (and it was tiny) for around $250,000. We've bought a a four bedroom (terraced house) in Northampton around 150 years old for $280,000 and it has no roof!!

I think I need to shift to somehwhere in the states.