Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Houston area musician referral boards?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 13, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, even though I live about 100 miles outside of Houston, my obsession with finding a suitable band has driven me to the point that commuting to Planet H to work with a band seems tenable.

I've found www.houstonbands.net so far - any others out there?

2. Hey SD....you're in luck, sorta. I live outside Houston (about 15 minutes, more or less) and there is a Guitar Center in Clear Lake where there must be 20 ads looking for bass players in practically all genres. If you ever go there tell me and we can meet up.

It's right off of I-45 South.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, a GC in Clear Lake? And my dumb self has been driving clear over to the Westheimer store! I race in Houston SCCA Autocross events held in the parking lot of the Gulf Greyhound Park, so I've been in that neck of the woods plenty of times. Yeah, let's hook up sometime!

I might have an audition Sunday in that part of the world. Noticed the email address of the contact was from NASA, so I'm hoping the band's based on the side of Planet H that faces me, at least ;) They don't know I'm from out of town yet, and they might balk when I tell them. We shall see...

4. I lived in Houston for over a year and never noticed a shortage of "bass player wanted" ads. In fact, I've never seen a shortage of bassists, drummers, or keyboard players (what's a keyboard player? Do they still exist?) in any city I've been in. Tell you what: YOU post a "Bassist looking for band" note anywhere and see how long it takes for your answering machine to explode.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    BASSIST AVAILABLE (bass@secretdonkey.com) - Thu, Mar 13th, 2003 11:52 AM CST
    Looking for working cover band. Prefer something other than heavy/classic rock. Available on WEEKENDS ONLY, but fully commited to necessary homework and have strong work ethic/professionalism, etc. I'm 35, 20 years playing experience, but AM NOT a hardened mercenary, despite my current ambitions. Sorry, no vox! Versatile, great gear, yadda, yadda, yadda! 8^) Drop me an "E" for more details!

In three days, I've gotten exactly one response - from an original band, where I'm clearly asking for covers. Three days isn't long, but consider that new ads rapidly pile on top and mine's already getting buried.

I'm not discouraged yet, but nothing's "exploded" yet, either. I know my 'weekends only' thing is going to discourage many, but since I live 100 miles out, I don't have much choice :)

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, Goatslayer - we'll see how this works...