Houston sucks, Austin rules!! (Texas)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Just got back from a trip to Dallas, Houston, and Austin. For being the 4th largest city in the US, Houston was really disappointing in regard to the arts. I got there on Friday, picked up a local paper to check out the "Friday" section to see what was going on musicwise in town. The paper did not even HAVE a Friday, or Weekend, section. Upon further study, I deduced that the reason was that noting was going on there. A trip to pollstar.com confirmed this.

So what did I do?.....I drove 2.5 hours to Austin and saw The Derailers in this honky-tonk, The Broken Spoke. The best $10 I've ever spent on seeing a show. These guys were awesome!!! I don't think you even have to like country to like these guys, if you're a musician.

anyway, my belief is that Houston sucks, Dallas not as bad (though not much of a seen there either), and Austin truly is the Live Music Capital of the World. That's all.....
  2. Just because you couldn't find what you wanted on a given weekend doesn't mean that Houston sucks. Did you bother checking ahead of time? Plenty of bands I like come through Houston.

But yes, Austin does rule.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey im going to Texas for a couple of days this next july... anything good there?
  4. Yeah, not a big fan of Houston myself. I'm a Dallas guy, so I dig it more than Austin, but Austin is still a really cool place.
  5. Okay, I was a bit harsh. I did find it interesting how little was happening there, for such a big city. I'm sure you get large stadium shows, but how 'bout medium/small venue artists?

Austin, yeah. Oh, and KGSR FM rules!
  6. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Yes, Austin is the music capital of texas for sure. i plan on moving there sometime. Not much of a music scene where im at! :p
  7. Forget Dallas, Houston and Austin.

If you want to fall in love with a Mexican girl and get into a shootout, just go to El Paso.* :rolleyes:

Mike J. (pardner)

* Some of you are prolly too young to remember the Marty Robbins song.
  8. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i used to live in el paso. only thing i can remember coming from there is at the drive in..
  9. Mark,

I've been to the Broken Spoke a few times - it's a neat place, huh? Pretty authentic IMO. Austin's definitely got some cool stuff going on in terms of music, although I often wish there was more jazz and more interesting rock going on. There is a definite country tinge to the music scene.
  10. ...with sxsw starting tomorrow wed 13th, there is no better place to be!
    What rules about Austin is you can go any night at any time and see a good band regardless of the season. I think I go to atleast 3 shows a week. Check out Emo's if your into Punk! Steamboat just re-open, should be some big names playing there.
    Come visit, but don't move here!
  11. Yes, the Spoke is awesome. Do you listen to KGSR at all? I listened to it all day at work today via streaming.....
  12. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Yes, Austin does rule! I was just there the 10-12 of this month...got back yesterday. Since I was there for the state cx-debate tournament, I only really got to go out Monday night, went walking 6th street for awhile after dinner. I saw a couple bands but didn't really stop besides having to drag a friend away from drooling over a band's bassist...lol, gotta figure it'd be the bassist, eh?

I plan on moving to Austin if I can. I'd really love to go to the university. The city is wonderful, much better than Houston. In comparison, Houston seems so dull and polluted, or is it just me? Crap, Houston is so much closer to home....*sigh* oh well. :(
  13. You're in Glassface? Did you guys play in Terell park a couple weeks back?

By the way, I'm from Nederland, and I'm an LDer.
  14. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Yep, I'm in Glassface. We played Tyrrell Park in late January I believe. We're playing Changing Times in Beaumont this Saturday if you can get in. We changed our name to what we wanted it to be in the beginning, Six Degrees of Separation, but I'm not certain what name we're playing under at Changing Times.

Pretty neat to run into someone so close who's seen my band...lol. So how were we? :D Catch me on IM sometime and I'll try to catch you.

BTW - My partner and I got stomped at CX...went up against two of the breaking teams who both happened to win highest speaker points awards...:rolleyes: How are you in LD?

Edit: I'm from Winnie, ya know, the lil stinkhole just east of Beaumont on I-10...:)
  15. To be honest with you, I didn't go to the show, but there were some people I know talking about y'all and Eric West's band (know him?) both of you got pretty good reviews.

As for LD... well, lets just say that West Coast is my best friend... But I intend to actually *work* for district LD, though. Have you seen the topic? Its murder!

And yeah, I'm familiar with Winnie.
  16. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Eric West...crap, I think so. Well, I'm glad we got good reviews, heh. Good enough for me.

I wish you luck in LD man, I know CX district is a piece of cake...my team won first after a gruesome debate due to stupidity in the round arranging. Our two best teams ended up debating each other in the semis when there were only two other teams from different schools, very crappy. I wish we could've taken them out and debated each other for first and second, but our school got screwed. Oh well, at least I got first. :)

BTW, I haven't seen the LD topic, but I know the CX has been a fun one.

Resolve: That the United States federal government should establish a foreign policy significantly limiting the use of weapons of mass destruction.

You ever come to Winnie?
  17. I have to agree. I've been living in Houston for the past year, and during that time, John Scofield and Charlie Hunter have both played in Austin, but never bothered to stop by in Houston. All the bands that play in Houston pretty much play in Austin - just not the other way around.
  18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    My cousin was murdered in Houston by her next door neighbor, using a hammer and screwdriver. I ain't crazy about the place....hell, I didn't like it even before that. Nasty place.

Austin and San Antonio are really nice places to visit, though. I lived in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen) for a while and got up that way every chance I could.