Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Houston TBers let's unite and party

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am a relatively new member, but I was wondering if any of the TBers in Houston and the surrounding areas would be interested in getting together and meeting and having some fun. I am open to anything or suggestions. I usually don't do these kinds of things - planning get togethers, but I love playing the bass and I just want to meet others who feel the same way. It seems that whatever music store I go to I always meet a really nice person in the bass department. So, I know you are out there somewhere. Maybe we can have our own BassDay or some clinics.
    I got this idea from DigMe. They do this in Dallas and I know that we don't want to be outdone by Dallas. Heck we got the best football team, the prettiest women and the best food. So I know we have the best bass players also with Austin in second.

2. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I guess I am the only TBer from Houston. Oh, well I guess I got to party by myself.

Come here guitar. - Johnny Guitar Watson

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I'm in College Station... that's not too far, though I haven't set foot in Houston in years.

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Jusaplaya,

I'm in Houston as well (NW suburbs/Spring area). Unfortunately I've got young children and about the only times I get out is for band rehearsals and gigs (2-3 a month max). I know there are a few other Houston TBers but don't know how often they cruise the board.

5. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for replying. I don't have anything even remotely planned yet. I am thinking maybe about trying to put together a clinic to get people to come out and then try to put a club together from there. I have a former teacher, who is very knowledgable and he may have a few connections that I can contact. I will keep you informed as things progress.

Thanks to Digme

6. Just Playa-
    I'm also in Houston, one thing you might want to consider is to have your get-together at rockin robins in the bass room. As you know they have a ton of high end gear there.
    Maybe talk the guys at rockin robin to host it. Your clinic can consist of the two bass guys that work there. the bald guy w/ the glasses plays freakin amazing fretless, and the stocky guy w/ the tatts plays just about every YES tune you can think of.
    Of course you can beg and plead to get my bass instructor to play (mark white of the spin doctors) - but i've found that after hearing him play we'll all give up our bass playing and go home drinking.
    just some suggestion

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey why doesn't mark post here anymore? Too busy? At some point a while back he'd said something about the Spin Doctors getting back together again (I think!). What ever happened to that?

brad cook

8. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I had actually been considering that. I bought my bass from Rockin Robin and I always go in htere since I work down the street at HISD. I was actually planning in going in there this weekend and talk (beg) the manager for some help. I was talking to Bart, one of the guys there, and he was telling me that Mark had just started teaching there. I love Rockin Robin. I been going in there since the 70's when they were in the Village. I never thought I would be abler to afford any of the cool gear that they carried. I will be there this weekend. Check back on Monday. I have posted an update by then hopefully. I got alot of homework to do this weekend.

9. Don't want to hijack the thread
    hey Brad-
    the spin doctors are back together, they have recorded a new record (which is finished mixing) and they travel frequently. Infact they were over in europe for a few weeks last month. The play everywhere and anywhere; hockey rink openings, the heights fest, chicken and rib fest, you name it. I guess Mark is too busy, as every time i see him his vette remains dirty (he'll kick my bo-biney when he read this :^)
    Let me tell you thou, they were in the studio for 3 months recording the new material (back in Nov), when Mark returned in january he had taught himself a new 3 finger-rolling popping type technique. i've not seen wooten even do this, its along the lines of mix Dominique Di piazza + sheehan + ray riendeau crazy stuff, its gets so rythmically intense, its hard to follow and since his fingers don't move you can't figure out how hes playing the stuff. His stuff gets funkier every time i see him.
    I guess hes just busy

Jusaplaya- I've been taking lessons from Mark for over a year now, he didn't just start teaching. However, he only comes into town on weds

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It sounds like something that I believe Stu Hamm does.

brad cook

11. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I'm in Houston....and

My band is playing Friday night in Bear Creek and Saturday in Copperfield (both west side)

I'll have both my new LeCompte F-Bird and a LeCompte PT 1.5 Prototype bass with me if anyone wants to come out and see what the new Houston/Pearland based builder's basses are like.

PM me if you are interested and I'll give you directions :cool: I wouldn't mind meeting a few TalkBassers..

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm in Houston, and I'd love to come to any lil' shindig that comes together, schedule permitting!

Re: Rockin Robin... I bought my Rickenbacker there years and years ago. It's funny, I had the choice between the used-but-six-months-old '92 4003 and a '79 4001, for the same price. I'm kinda kicking myself now for choosing the 4003 just because it was newer. Oh well, I didn't know as much then. :)

13. I can't believe I missed this thread. That would be cool guys. The only TB member I've ever met in person is bassists moderator Jay, who lives in nearby Beaumont.

Where at in Houston do you all live? I'm in Deer Park (right next to Pasadena, about 15-20 miles east of town). If you still don't know where that is, I live right next to highway 225 (look at a map)

14. I go to the Spring area fairly often...Java Jazz Coffee House is a neat little venue, up in the Old Town part.

15. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm in the Cypress area of NW Houston.

oh and jrthebassguy, never mention Java Jazz that place is an evil house of unorganized bass playing

16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Count me and purplelinny in.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Is Tom Jenkins still there? If so I need to talk to that guy.