Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Houston TX Here I come!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybass, Aug 8, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, I leave for Houston in 1 week. I'm very excited to be going to college... I just can't believe its so soon! Any cool bass places in Houston? Any Houston-ites have any recommendations? Any college students have any words of wisdom? I suppose this is just my going away thread more than anything, I doubt I'll be on here near as much once I get down to business. I'm going to be majoring in engineering, so I doubt I'll have time to play around on TB anymore... so have fun without me for a little while at least!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    just beware - the houston humidity is almost as bad as miami

that's really all i have to say about houston

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, at least it's probably more exciting than Germantown! ;)

brad cook

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    And Memphis. ;)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    ok, now that I have more time. Yeah, there are some cool places in Houston. It doesn't have the culture concentration of, say, Austin, but it has some cool places.

As far as the music scene goes, the problem with Houston is that it doesn't have one particular spot that houses most of the cool clubs like Dallas' Deep Ellum or Austin's 6th street and surrounding areas. Houston has clubs but generally you can't walk up and down one area and hit all of them. You can just pick up a copy of whatever the music rag is now to find that sort of thing. There aren't that many cool independent music stores but there is Rockin Robin. It's on South Shepherd near hwy. 59. They have some cool stuff.

http://www.rockinrobinguitars.com/

Then there's your usual selection of Guitar Centers and whatnot. There are plenty of good restaurants on Westheimer, Richmond and in that general area and there's a good museum district and of course the zoo. Then there are the Houston Rockets, Houston Astros and Dallas Texans if you're a pro sports kind of guy. Rockets have a brand new arena, woohoo!

Galveston is close too if you want to see some dirty beaches. I use the word "beach" loosely.

Anyway..that's my take. Are you going to Rice or U of H or one of the smaller colleges?

brad cook

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Thanks for the info Dig. Yea, I'm going to Rice, so I'll be in the medical center for the most part. Any cool stuff around there?

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Second the recommendation on Rockin' Robin - they've really built up the bass department there.

And if you're going to be stuck on Planet H, you could do far worse than to land in the Rice U/Rice Village area.

:)

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, that's really very close to the museum district and lots of hoity toity restaurants and gourmet groceries and stuff. Really not a bad place to be if you have to be right in Houston. Not too far from some clubs and stuff too. My theory on college though is that pretty much no matter where you go you will have a blast in college as long as you make good friends.

brad cook

9. Venues and stores are scattered all throughout good ol H-town.

I see you'll be in the medical school district, which is really close to where I often go to get my kidneys checked.

I usually stay away from downtown Houston if I can. I sometimes go to the Engine Room, which is a pretty alright venue where alot of semi-big bands play, but its directly next door to a homeless shelter, where I've had money taken from me and other crimes often happen :meh:

Theres also Fitzgeralds, which is in a slightly nicer part of downtown, but I usually don't tread that far out. The cool part about this venue is that it's two stories, so theres a gig on the downstairs and another on the upstairs.

If you're in a band or like seeing other local bands, Java Jazz Coffee House in old town Spring is an ideal place to be. It's about an hour from me (i'm in Deer Park, slightly southeast of houston), but its well worth the drive. Nice area, all the free drinks you want, etc. Another good place is Fuel Cyber Cafe in Humble. It's a bit closer than Java Jazz from where you'll be (i think) and it's right off of highway 59 IIRC.

I've never been to any of the downtown music stores, but in nearby clear lake (a collection of towns south of houston) there is a Guitar Center, Danny D's, The Speaker Surgeon, H&H and a few others. But never shop at H&H unless you like paying extra for something you can get at GC for much cheaper. I have a relative who used to work at H&H...and they'll try to scam you any way possible. So avoid H&H at all costs.

If you need any extra help while here, just PM me. Good luck!

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hey bro..goodluck..
    Ive had alot of fun talking to you, too bad we could never meet up around here.(kinda sad huh)
    I couldn't catch you on IM..
    Goodluck with school though, and have fun in Houstin.
    *breaks smirnoff bottle over you backside*

11. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Good stuff guys, thanks. I'm glad there's a GC and other stores there, I was worried about the availability of music stores. I might be bringing a car second semester, so I can get down to those places. How's living with a car in Houston?

12. Driving isnt so bad in Houston....just dont piss anybody off, and try to avoid I-45 if possible. I-45 isnt so bad once you're in the southern part (from clear lake downwards) but from the middle of houston on north it can create hellacious traffic jams. Luckily theres usually a second (and usually faster) route to get where you want to go. There are some toll boothes, but you wont mind paying the dollar as you'll save alot of time usually.

And always remember, www.mapquest.com is your friend if you need directions someplace. I've been driving almost a full year and I already know my way (basically) around one of the US's biggest cities are far as land size is concerned.

Hope this helps.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man, you're going to get stuck in traffic if you live in Houston. That's a fact of life. I think Houston's traffic is among the worst in Texas personally. Defintely worse than my experiences in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. I drive in Austin and Dallas quite a bit and used to live just north of Houston. That's one thing I don't miss about Houston. I-45 is one of the worst but loop 610 can tend to get stopped up where it intersects other major highways...especially hwy 59 on the southwest side. Anytime you use a major highway during rush hour travelling from Rice village then you will probably hit some traffic.

brad cook