1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Houston, we have a clip! (Forge Amplification content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Mar 17, 2009.

1. As the guy says, it's hard to get a feel for it through a microphone and computer speakers (or headphones, for that matter), but I thought this might ease some controversy surrounding this product.

Clip

2. Bump? Thoughts?

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Dosen't sound bad.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: How would it do that? The camera mic didn't pick up the lows he was talking about, so we don't hear them. I'm not saying they weren't coming out of the cab, and maybe these cabs sound mindblowingly fantastic, but we'd never know it by watching that clip.

5. Agreed. Very "clicky" with lots of fret noise. Low B sounded like crap to me. There seemed to be no roundness to the tone at all. I would imagine that the system sounds good but as bongo says that clip no so much!

I'll still stick with my Acmes.

Paul

P.S. At least he didn't slap the damn bass and that's a first!

6. Well, I definitely agree, but before now we had nothing to go on but Tom's and Martin's thoughts about it, so I thought it would be nice to at least hear something that would give us even the most miniscule idea of how it sounds. I acknowledged from the start that it's impossible to get a truly accurate representation of it from anything but a real life experience.

7. That sounded bad even for a camera mic:D That is a nasty sounding bass!

I'm sure this stuff just kills. However, it seems like 'mad scientist overdesign' IMO. Any gig that most would need that kind of wattage and massive speaker cab for would have front of house support, making the whole thing a kind of 'hurtling into 1988 Spinal Tap' sort of thing (it has seven tubes and goes to 11!).

I'm sure it sounds great. My guess is, they will sell about 3 of them:D

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, you're probably right.

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Sounds kinda' dry and 'bleah' to me. However I'd like to hear and see it in person, or at least represented and put through it's paces by a few different bass players in different styles, if the company should shoot some decent demo videos. Again, it's hard to form an opinion about any amp until you get to see and hear it in the flesh and get a chance to give it a spin yourself. I do like the idea behind what Forge is doing, as far as reviving the preamp and active cabinet style of big bass amp rig.

10. :D Don't get me in trouble:eek::bag:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't worry, Ken. You don't need any help in that regard. :p

12. :D I tell you what, I bet this rig just is something else. It just seems like a niche of a niche of a niche to me. However, I wish them luck with it!

13. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Houston agrees -- he should have demoed that rig with something like a nice Fodera.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It was truly impressive at NAMM, and the smaller rig sounded even better than the bigger one, I thought. Now, NAMM is not the best place to audition gear (though we were within an isolation room), and the real test is getting something out on a gig. But we'll try that sooner or later, and then run their stuff through all the bench-tests. It should be fun. :D

Oh, and they are looking at several different smaller, lighter, more modular options, too (which I think is a good thing).

Tom.

15. Well, I suppose that would be in keeping with the price range, but apart from that, it is nice that he demo'd with a bass that is in a more "down-to-earth" price range. Whoa, didn't see that pun coming. :oops:

Anyway, that wouldn't change the fact that we get a less than stellar representation with a microphone and headphones, regardless of quality on either level.

However, it sounds interesting to me nonetheless.

And, I think they will sell more than three, FWIW. :)

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    True that,

Three to Tom, and two more, one being yourself!:ninja: