Hovercraft Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brink of Bass, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Brink of Bass

Brink of Bass

Apr 23, 2017
    Hello Groovers & Thumpers

I picked up a Hovercraft Elder Giant about 9 months ago off Reverb and have been absolutely engulfed in musical bliss from its cascading array of tones, I have since been on the search for acquiring another Hovercraft head as a back up and to add an additional voice of flavor into my mix. I was wondering if anyone has tried using other models of Hovercraft heads for a bass guitar application such as the Falcon, Caribou, Andromeda, or one of his one off creations and if so what your thoughts were on how it handled the lower and higher frequency ranges. I'd also be potentially interested in purchasing a hovercraft head from someone if your thinking of parting with one other then dwarvenauts heads. Id also be interested in any hovercraft bass cabs if your with in reasonable distance of Minnesota because the whole shipping things can be troublesome with heavy items like such.

Attached Files:

deathness likes this.
  2. Cdmckim

Cdmckim

Aug 13, 2015
    Glad to see another bassist using an Elder Giant.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use a hovercraft dwarvenaut for guitar/bass mostly for home practice. Great stuff. Havent had it long. But so far so good. I bet their bigger heads rip.

4. Cdmckim

Cdmckim

Aug 13, 2015
    The Elder Giant rips. Channel 1 is Sunn Model T voicing and channel 2 is an SVT vibe that can get super clanky with a good deal of grit.

From what I’ve heard of the Dwarvenaut, it seems like it could hang for a small-mid venue easily. I’ve considered picking one up.

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Just jumping in to subscribe.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Based on that description it really sounds like my dream bass amp.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    What’s the base on the elder giant? It’s the JCA100 right? Tough to imagine covering model T without the UL output stage and SVT without the active mids but I haven’t played one.

8. Cdmckim

Cdmckim

Aug 13, 2015
    Correct. It’s by no means a clone of each. And I apologize if I initially gave that impression. I think you’d see a lot more bassists sporting these amps if that were the case. But they are reminiscent of each, and from my understanding that was what these channels were based on.

9. Cdmckim

Cdmckim

Aug 13, 2015
    Obligatory rig shot.

1CA95393-7F19-48D3-B7C7-3667777F774E.jpeg

deathness likes this.
  10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That is indeed the tones they were based on, from the butchers mouth. But probably more of the preamp design than the power section.

Cdmckim likes this.
  11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Interesting, looks like a JCA100HDM instead of the older version which used the JCA100H as I mentioned above.

@Figjam I don't know if they still have it but last time I was at Music Go Round in Natick they had a higher wattage hovercraft. Not sure of the model, I don't really follow his builds, but if you wanted to try one out you could check and see if it's still there.

Figjam likes this.
  12. Ramwhale

Ramwhale

Jan 21, 2015
    I have a 300w, that I just had perfectly restored to factory specs. It is Elder Giant #1. Just picked it up and plugged it in tonight l, tone is goodnes, but I have too much gear. Shoot me an email and I’ll send done more info/documentation.