Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How ´bout Stuart Zender?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jul 1, 2001.

1. What do you think about former Jamiroquai´s Bassit Stuart Zender?
    I think he´s damn great.. Jamiroquai´s first two albums have both beautiful funky & jazzy basslines.-

I think he should have been more recognized for his role in Jamiroquai..

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    he´s damn funky... i hope new material of his band comes out soon

3. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Stuart Zender is DOPE! I love the first two albums, the third gots some serious groove lines as well... I've been waiting for his new group Azur to drop their album, anyone know what's up with that?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, he has a real sophistication in his playing. I really like his stuff, very tasty, not out front.

I saw an old "Sat. Night Live" of Jamiroquai and somehow, Zender was getting a tidy, well-mannered, popping sound. But it looked to me like he wasn't hooking his finger on the string to pull it up. He just looked like he was playing normal fingerstyle.

Maybe it's just something you can do with an F Bass (it looked like an F).

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    maybe he just plucked harder than normal or pressed the string on the fretboard, i sometimes get that sound... and could be that bass too!

6. hey.. I´ve never played a 6 string, but a friend of mine who plays at a salsa-reggae band, does..

He also some times sounds like popping octaves but if you look at his fingers you see he just plucks..

I´ve never asked him about that, but i´m pretty sure that it is because of the high C string.. and the equalization.. (trebbles and high mids boosted)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This getting a popping "baink" sound using normal fingerstyle is weirding me out. Zender must have some kind of action/string tension thing going on that allows the string to slap against the fretboard.........but his touch looks so delicate and light :confused:

Oh well, one reason he's was on NBC on that Saturday night and I was playing The Boom Boom Room on that Saturday night. :rolleyes:

8. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    "Zender" rhymes with "Fender".

Has anyone else noticed this?

9. I am pretty sure he stuck with Warwick streamers throughout his Jamiroquai career, except for the very beggining. On SNL, I believe he was playing a custom all white five string with LEDs. I could be wrong, But I am pretty sure of it. I remember seeing him play those "disco" octaves like those on SNL, and it seemed that he was plucking the low note with his thumb and popping the high one with his index to get that "Slapping, but not quite" sound. Also, his action was probably very low. With brand new strings, hard plucking etc...

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    If you pluck more diagonally or vertically rather than horizontally, you can get that sound. In other words, dig in at an angle. If the action is low enough, it should be easy. Victor Wooten gets a similar sound sometimes without popping. He just plucks harder.

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Stuart has used three main Warwick Streamers through the Jamiroquai years:
    - White 5-string, with blue SIMS LEDs.
    - Chrome 5-string, with gold SIMS LEDs.
    - "Iroquai" 5-string with red SIMS LEDs.

[​IMG]

David

12. Here's a shot from the performance in question.

13. oops....sorry, that's his chrome w/green LEDs. Here's the one I meant to attach.