How about 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    In my search for my future rig(probably with a single cab), I have stumbled across the fact that 2x12s start to be more widely available than before. What do you all think about these? People have been saying how good their TWO 1x12s sound together, so what about putting these babies in a single cab?

My guess would be that they are more roadable than 4x10 but give more bottom end than 2x10. I'm not sure how they compare to 1x15s but I think they are more tighter but won't give as much bottom end, or am I wrong?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I played through refigerator sized 2x15 cabinets all though the '70s and '80s. All thoughtout the '90s and until just recently I used a 4x10 and 1x15 setup. I recently purchased a EB MM Audiophile HD-212 (very well made) and I am really liking this cabinet. When I had heard people say 2x12 was the best of both worlds (4x10 punch with 1x15 lowend) I was skeptical, I figured it would come up a little short of both worlds. I like the clarity and punch of the 2x12 and I haven't noticed any loss of lowend. The only downside is this sucka is fairly heavey, but still about the same as some 4x10 cabinets.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Turock, that's good to hear. I'm currently looking at the pages of certain German webstore and they seem to carry few 2x12s.. Local stores, unfortunetly, are quite conservative when it comes to bass stuff, which not to mention they don't have very much. If I would go in there mentioning bass-2x12s, they would probably answer that only guitar-ones exist :rolleyes:

Few prices here, seems like SWR Twelve Pack and Eden CX-212 would be 750 euros each, the EB/MM 870e and Glockenklang Double 910e. Dunno if Glocky would be too high-end for rock-use, tho. (But then again, I just saw quite famous Finnish heavy band named 'Sentenced' the other night, and their bassist was using EBS stack and they're usually considered as high-end brand so.. )
  4. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....I'm very happy w/my Eden 2-12xlt !! (although, it's not much smaller than my SWR 6-10 in both weight and floor space taken )

It's a 'punchy' cab.....good for most of my smaller club gigs.........

Recommended !!

5. Very happy with my SWR twelve pack (2x12). I still use it along with my ampeg 410 on a vintage SVT just to load the amp properly but all my tone comes from the SWR. Punchy, lot's o' low end, more clarity than the 410.
  6. I am delighted with my Peavey 412 TVX ...
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Matthias has a Glockenklang 2x12 he obviously likes very much.

Tech builds amazing 12" cabs too, but probably hard to get in the US.
  8. I am very satisfied with my Bergantino HT-212. It's superior to any 2x10 cab I've tried. It's 85lbs and not much bigger than most 2x10. Has very good punch, and big-ass bottom. My drummer said "man, that thing has got a great bottom and very tight." He never notice anything...

I the one thing that I have noticed is certain notes like the D on my E string seem to be louder and sort of gain some sustain more than any other spot on my neck...? Nobody up front can tell though, even after I pointed it out. ???
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

if no one out in the audience notices, then its prolly just cause of where you're standing in relation to the cab. funky phasing, and what not.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'll second the Bergantino recomendation!.....great cab! The low end is massive!!
  11. Ok...I'm joking. I have been jumping up and down about this configuration for years but no one seemed to care until this year? I owned a set of Eden D212XLT's and was moderately happy with them, especially their deep punchy fingerstyle thang. I upgraded to my current setup of two EB-MM HD212's and all I can say I get more deep fundamental than any of my other cabs and that 6" mid driver just snarls and grabs you by the throat. 800w, 8 ohms...I have never heard or played through a better setup. I have owned SWR, Mesa, Eden...Peavey, you name it. My EB's are the finest cabs I have _ever_ played thorugh. I am one happy camper.
  12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'll 3rd the Bergie,and I'll throw in the Epifani 2x12 too...Both of them are smokin' cabs
  13. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You must have heard of a band called Rammstein? Their bassplayer uses Glocks. EBS also has a 2x12 cab that might be worth checking out.
  14. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have the Glockenklang 212 and I'm happy indeed.
    It is part of the 'Bassware' line which is not quite the same 'super-hifi' concept as their famous Bass Art and Acoustic Art cabs, but still very high quality (and high fidelity of sound reproduction) of cause. And if you put in dirty Rock'n'Roll, it will play dirty Rock'n'Roll for sure :D
    (BTW the bassist of the German hardcore band (or what ever you call their style) Rammstein uses an 810 custom made by Glockenklang...)

ps: also see my review in the review section of this board!
  15. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Good assessment, but I don’t think you will find the bottom end lacking at all.

I originally started looking for a good 112, but many posts led me to believe that 212 would be better. I checked out the Aguilar GS112, which is a really nice cabinet, but two together sounded better to me. So, I could buy two GS112s for $400 each, or I could get a GS212 for a little over $600. Everyone’s talking about how easy it is to move around the 112s, but the 212 is still pretty manageable (roughly 70Lbs, 24” x 22” x 16”) – a lot easier to handle than a 410, and not much bigger or heaver than the larger 210s.

I ended up getting the GS212, and I have to say, it is one killer cabinet. It is very deep, but also has the tight, punchy sound more associated with 10’s. I think it strikes a perfect balance that’s better matched to what most players need.
  16. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yeah, my Glockenklang 212 has more bottom than my Ampeg 215, it seems to be not quite as loud though. (but I don't need that much volume anyway)
    This is possible, because low end response depends on more factors than just speaker size.