1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How About a Dedicated GK MB115 Thread?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slackerprince, May 10, 2010.

1. I am interested in the Gallien-Krueger MB115 combo amp, but all the other threads seem to favor and discuss the MB210 more.
    Are there some people with the MB115 that care to discuss their amps?
    I'm a hobby player, mostly, and probably always will be, but I jam with buddies all the time with full drum sets. Is the MB115 plenty for most small situations or a Blues jam or something?
    Let us know all about your GK MB115!!:bassist:

Slackerprince

2. Bump

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good idea!

4. I'm still shopping. MB115 vs. MB210.
    I'm a big fan of buying right the first time, and I know I'd be good with the MB210, but wondering if the MB115 would be good for most hobby/small gig situations and save me a couple hundred.
    Father's Day is coming up, and although I can't imagine my wife shopping on Musician's Friend, in any REAL universe, I'm sure they'll be having some sort of coupon savings for us.
    Anyway, would like to get some MB115 owners getting a thread going.

Slackerprince

5. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Have you A/Bed the 210 and 115? I tried both at GC and 'for my needs' it wasn't even close. Lots of folks love their MB115s though. I'll bet there will be lots of responses after this thread is 'found'!

6. I've only tried the 210 at GC. Obviously, I could only crank it so far, without being a tool, but it sounded good.
    The weight is the real selling point, as long as it sounds good, naturally.
    I sold my Acoustic B200 because it was a pain to load and unload at 75 lbs.
    I'm used to using the no payments/interest for a year at GC and MF and paying it off, so I could do the bump up, but I'm interested in hearing some badass, glowing reports about the 115!
    Probably still too new on the market for too much feedback.
    Off to jam. I'll check back tonight.
    Thanks, tallboybass!!

S.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I tried both at GC and I preferred the tone of the MB115. It was a much smoother tone to me. There are some on here that gig with the MB115 so hopefully they'll chime in here soon.

8. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Had mine a few months now and like it alot. I use mine primarily for upright bass, but bass guitar sounds great through it also and this amp gets loud as hell for 200 watts into one 15" speaker.

It has plenty of volume for bands who don't play super loud onstage. (which is pointless anyway, IMO) I am already a fan of the sound of GK amps, so this suits me great as a super portable small amp I can use instead of my "big rig" for shows with good PA support.

I have said this in the other thread, but I really like how mid-present this combo sounds compared to other 15s I have played in the past. This is not a muddy sounding amp, you can get a very in-your-face tone if you want it. The standard GK EQ works great as usual in getting different tones also.

9. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    I've gigged with mine several times.

10. Leaning towards the MB115. For my purposes, and for the price, I think it's probably the way to go. Wish they had these when I was looking at and ready to buy the Acoustic
    B-200.

S.

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This is something I remember about the MB115 from my quick GC test. The mids were very much THERE. Not muddy at all. If I'd been blindfolded I would have guessed wrong for sure. The 210 is almost boomy and the 115 is very mid-oriented, just the opposite of what you might expect.

12. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Yeah I thought the MB210 I tried out (a bunch of times :D) in the store was a bassy sounding amp - the MB115 was not boomy sounding which is kinda counter-intuitive. .

I suppose it has to do with the size of the enclosures, ports, tuning, etc.

13. That's good feedback on the 115.
    Probably score one with a Father's Day discount from one of the big guys.
    I think it will suit my needs and I've heard nothing but good things about the 115.
    Thanks.

S.

14. JMonta

JMonta

Sep 4, 2009
    will order it ass soon as they get in stock again.
    Can't wait :hyper:
    Have been getting feedback of this amp for like a month now, and when I finally decided to get it goes out of stock :meh:

Well... hope it worth it!!!!!!:bassist:

15. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have been gigging regularly with my MB115 for a few months now I had originally planned to use it for practices and small gigs, but it has proved itself very capable to handle almost every gig. It does have more than enough volume for a blues or country gig and the tone sits very well in the mix. I can post some links later to gig recordngs where I used the MB115 to give an idea of what it is capable of. I consider it the near perfect single fifteen combo amp. It's shortcomings are minor and are more than made up for by it's benefits. If you don't ever seeing yourself needing more than a single fifteen, get one. If you think you'll need an extension, get two!

16. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I did a gig Fri. night w/ a loud drummer, a 100 watt tube amp (lead), a 60 watt tube 410 guitar, a 50 watt guitar, and vocals. Now the 2 "rhythm" guitars were told to keep it down , and they did. I did not DI my mb115. People in the audience told me the drums and bass were almost too loud. If you spend a little time with the EQ on the MB115 , it can be surprisingly powerful.

17. Can you elaborate on the "shortcomings"?
    Thanks.

S.

18. Can you give us some EQ pointers?
    Thanks.

S.

19. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Just got back from an outdoor party gig where I played two sets. I played upright in my country band (quiet band) and then bass guitar in my rock n roll band (loud) , and the MB115 sounded awesome and was plenty loud even outside with no PA support, just a vocal PA.

The tone was kept flat (except for treble rolled off a bit) with my Jazz bass, and it cut through so well I everyone could hear me without having to crank it all the way. It sounded full, fat and punchy.

Thanks again GK! :bassist:

20. Digging the thread and positive reviews of the MB115.
    Making it hard to justify the extra $200 for the 210, which
    is probably more amp than I need.
    Sounds like you had a busy and musical day, Gearhead43!

S.