Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about a new forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by g4string, Nov 17, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    How about a "Live Sound & Production" forum here at TB. The one at HC is pretty decent. I think TB needs one. There are a lot of us here that do our own sound. It would be nice if we had a place at TB that we could discuss our live sound rants, raves, and questions. BTW, what I mean by "Live Sound & Production" is the live band sound engineering aspect. For all those who feel this way, chime in, write a MOD. Maybe something will happen!

2. I agree.

I was thinking of a live sound forum. Or where to take live sound questions to.

Good idea.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There is a suggestion box for these sort of things... *points*

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That's a huge subject! It would be nice.

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Hmmm... I never knew there was a suggestion box...

O I C.... Pauls Shack ;)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, you might have checked. It's not like you joined yesterday.:p

Moved.

7. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yeah.. well, I never had any suggestions so..

I usually just come to TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar...

Anyways, now I know... now we all know.

8. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I never knew this was here as well. Now I is edumacated. Thanks for moving the thread to it's correct location.

Paul, please PM me or post a response in this thread with your opinion and/or course of action. Thanks for your time.

Jason Goodman

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would have though that this subject fitted exactly within the "Band Management and Peformance" forum - which is quite sparsely populated as it is!! :(

Surely it would be better to start more threads along these lines in this existing forum (Performance), rather than starting another one which won't get used much anyway?

10. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Bruce,

I think the reason that forum is not used is beacuse of the first two words "Band Management". If we did start this new forum, why not have link in the doublebass area as well. This way everyone at TB has access to this new forum. You would not have to come over to the Bass Guitar side just to post about your live sound questions.

11. Bruce Lindfield

So, how about asking Paul to change its title to "Performance, Live Sound and other Band Issues" or something like that?

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I was never aware of the suggestion box eithier, in fact I still don't know where it is. I never had a suggestion before but this one holds merritt. Gigging is such a different animal all to it's own I think it deserves it's own forum. Shout you could start a entire website just from that subject alone. Vocals, mix, gear, sound guys, PA equipment, etc. We can touch on it here and there with the current set up and forums but if you polled how many members gig around here I think it would be a very popular forum, right up there with the amps and strings forums only maybe second to basses, that's my take, sorry for the add on sentences.

13. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Ricplaya,

I think it would be a very popular forum as well. There are a lot of weekend warrior bass players here that are also the "do-it-yourself" sound guys for their bands. And I am sure that there are some people here who are on a more professional level as well. Whenever I go to HC, I always pay a visit to the live sound forum.

14. Bruce Lindfield

You're in it!! It's here!! ;)

The point is that we already have two forums for topics about live performance - so do we need another one?

But if people aren't aware that forums exist - even when they post in them - like here! - then is there any point in making a big deal about it?

People post about what they want - creating new 'headings' won't make any difference to this.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You must be referring to the "Band managment and performance" and "Recording gear" forums. Well I do see your point but those are very broad subjects. These forums deal with all sorts of things to the point where they become more like the misc forum, things get lost in the mix in my opinion. This subject is touched on a bit, but nothing specific enough. Like if I had a question about Fender bass's, or DR strings etc. I do a search and bam! A lot of people play bass to gig! The singer in my band has been searching the net to find something like this site for vocalists and live applications. He has found some very mediocre sites. I just think the musical community would be well served if TB did this. I have not found a site a good as this about bass and general music in general. TB would be doing thier members a great service and may get more of a crowd from something like that. That's just my take. But I guess if it aint broke don't fix it, I guess...LOL

16. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Bruce,

I saw nothing in the "Band Mngmt" about issues such as live microphone choices, PA equipment product info, stage lighting issues, "how to" issues about PA's. The "Band Mngmt" is a great place to deal with "band issues". From a broad aspect of issues and different subject matters, combining my idea and the "Band Mngmt" forum would be like trying to squueze 10lbs of crap in a 5lbs bag.

No offense, but why are you extremely against this idea. Ultimately, the decision for a new forum is up to Paul, not myself, and not you.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There have been live sound questions in the Band Mgt/Perf forum before, and they were well received, just as your questions would be :)

In my opinion as well live sound falls under performance, and those sort of questions were why that forum was created in the first place.

The decision for a new forum is up to Paul, but he usually makes his decisions based on the majority opinion.

19. Bruce Lindfield

As Adam says - Paul like to keep everybody happy!! ;)

But I think it is worth pointing out that we have forums for this already - I'm just saying that if you have a "burning issue" why not post it under "performance" and see how it goes?

I've been around here for many years, so feel I can give the benefit of my experience - I just think we have come to have too many forums and it would be better to rationalise the ones we have, rather than continually adding new ones.