Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about a Peavey Mark VI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 25, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Guys,

I've got the opportunity to buy a well used but working Peavey Mark VI head for $20. Yeah, twenty bucks so I'm going for it. An hour round trip and a $20 bill later, I'm going to have a backup bass head.

Do any of you have experience with a Peavey Mark VI? I'm pretty excited, especially about the built in chorus and crossover. It'll give me a different sound than the GK I'm used to, so more variety for recording! I'm excited!

Let me know!

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I used a similar Mark III for a long time (my first bass head!) and it was awesome. A real work horse, and didn't sound bad at all. A friend of mine got a Mark VI and he loved it to death. I think you found yourselt a steal!

Jake

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, just ran the numbers, that's $0.08 per watt! :)

4. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Wow. For 20 bones?
    That is a steal.

I expect a full report on the TB desk monday morning. ;)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No prob. How's Saturday eve?

Only thing is I think I'm gonna have to build me a footswitch for the chorus. Shucks. LOL

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Weird....where did you find that amp Tim? I remember seeing one for sale for $20.

-Mike

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mike, it was on Bassgear. You probably saw it but the guy wouldn't ship anything he had, and it happened to be a quick drive from my house, so I figured $10 in gas and twenty bones, I could have a backup amp, or run a clean/dirty signal to each cab, etc.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep....that's the one. I wanted to buy it. Can't go wrong for $20.

-Mike

9. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i still own mine, however it was the mark IV, i love that thing, my first bass head, it lasted the 20 years vintage till i bought it, then one indiana snow storm, 3 feet of snow in 10 hours later it fried at a gig. It doesnt really work anymore, i wish it would so i could sell it.

*tear*

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    20 years ain't too bad for an amp. Now if I could only get about ten outta mine. :)

11. My buddy had a Mark VI for years. When it first came out it was the top of the heap for Peavey. I'm quite sure you will enjoy having it for $20.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, counting down the hours til I go get it! 2 hours and counting!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I got it. Past Fred's road a few times before I found it, he met me in the front yard and he led me to his basement (backup) practice room where he had all his for sale gear stacked to sell. He plugged his '74 J-bass into the Peavey and handed it to me, and honestly it was the sweetest sound I've ever heard, until I popped on the chorus, which made me melt.

We chatted, then he showed me his CS Jazz Bass, let me try that through it, and it was nice, but the '74 was the sweetest tone I've ever heard. Good news, it works, it sounds great, and doesn't smell like smoke.

Only problem: no footswitch for the chorus, so for another $7.00 I bought the parts to build one.

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I owned a Mark IV for years. Tough as they come. Sold it to my old bass teacher and he's still playing/abusing it, or was last time I saw him. Nearly twenty years old.

I'm using a Mark VIII for a backup and rental head now. Got mine at Peavey as a turnback from the Grand Olde Opry stage. Powerful but sterile. Still, sounds pretty good thru my Eden cabs outside at festivals.

Great deal on a great head!

dcr

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just checking... it's safe to run at 8 ohms right? Says min load is 2.

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I had a Peavey Mark IV about 17 years ago. I remember being so psyched about it because it was a big jump in power from the Peavey Century I traded in for it.

17. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I'd say so. Minimum load usually means just that. Should be just fine.

FWIW, I've run both my Mark IV and my Mark VIII at 8, 4, 2.67, and 2 ohms. Never had a problem.

YMMV, of course!

dcr

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow Tim, that is very cool. I try to find those deals around my area. I always run into the people who think amps like that are vintage, and worth $1500. :(

-Mike

19. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Oh, you had to spend an extra $7? Guess it wasn't the steal you thought it was. That'll teach ya!

;)

Jake

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, he just offered me the matching 1x15 with an EV Proline speaker for $50 which it sounded even sweeter than my GK with the head so I'm gonna drive down to get it soon.