Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about Best or Favourite New Albums of 2001?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As the other thread seems to have decended into nostalgia - how about saying what your favourite new albums of 2001 were - if any?

That is, albums released in 2001 for the first time and not re-releases or re-packaged albums or greatest hits/collections.

So I would mention :

Massive : Jazz Jamaica
    - in my Car CD all the time now!

2. System of a Down - Toxicity

The bass on it is pretty damn poor but i think that it is a truly great album, especially in the genre. I cant think of any decent bass albums this year. Anyone think of anything, im talking mainstream stuff here.

3. Man I don't think there were many good albums this year:confused: but I have to say mick jaggars solo album:rolleyes: just kidding. I seriously like alicia keys(but all the songs are very similar) I also dig the new g.love and ozomatli discs. but besides that I can't think of any others at this time that I really like but I'm sure there has got to be a few more right?:( right?:( Man this was a bad year for music.

4. Woah WOah Woah, I take it back.

MUSE - ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY

Great bass album, great album.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Devin Townsend - Terria

Devin is a genius...

6. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Well, what the hell, I'm bored. Out of the ten albums I listed inthe other thread I think Terrence Trent D'Arbys Wild Card is worth mentioning again. It's a solid piece of work.

7. Radiohead - Amnesiac
    Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills
    Superchunk - Here's to Shutting Up
    Spoon - Girls Can Tell
    Sorry About Dresden - The Convenience of Indecision
    Crooked Fingers - Out Come The Snakes
    The Dismemberment Plan - Change
    Fugazi - The Argument
    Burning Airlines - Identikit
    Idlewild - 1000 Broken Windows
    Microphones - The Glow Part 2
    Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun

Lots of good stuff this year...

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Muse - Origin Of Simmetry
    SOAD - Toxity

And I WOULD say Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun but it was released in 1999 in Iceland I think..

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Darrell, amen! Wild Card is an AMAZING album! Also, I've gotta go with Jill Scott's live CD.

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Tool - Lateralus
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    SOAD - Toxicity
    Sevendust - Animosity

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Lateralus - Tool

12. All right, you got me on a technicality. ;)

13. the only "new" cd I can think of that I bought is the new Stone Temple Pilots. I got it because I had a Best Buy gift card. I like it pretty well... so I guess to me at least it's the best album of 2001. Only others I can think of I kinda liked are Tantric (although they aren't the most creative or new thing and sound kinda like Alice in Chains, which is what I used to think of Days of the New also, but I still like their sound) and the new Incubus is decent but didn't sound all that different from Make Yourself to me. I've just been listening to almost all old music lately. Also, I almost never listen to the radio anymore so I don't know much of the new music now even.

14. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    My pick would be Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia, excellent songwriting. I also liked Manic Moonlight from King's X.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not For Nothing-Dave Holland Quintet
    Painter's Spring-William Parker Trio
    It's About That Time-Miles Davis
    Ethnic Stew & Brew-Roy Campbell Pyramid Trio
    Rocket Science-Tribal Tech

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have tremendously enjoyed Diana Krall's new CD, "The Look of Love." I'm not tired of it yet, in spite of many plays.

This year I have cut way back on record buying, because I have been so disappointed in much of what I have bought lately. I have so many CDs, I have sort of decided to just play my favorites a lot and not buy new ones unless I really hear great things about one and feel sure it won't be one of those CDs in whcih I enjoy only one or two songs.

17. Pat Martino's Live at Yoshi's is my most-listened-to album of the year. It's got a late 60's organ trio vibe happening while sounding very current at the same time. Martino fans definitely have got to have this one!

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Is he still around? I was just listening to "Wishing Well" on Saturday night. :)

I don't know if I'd call it my absolute favorite album of 2001, but it is the last one I can remember buying and I would definately say it was one of my most anticipated releases -- GWAR's Violence Has Arrived. Love the songs "Bloody Mary," "Immortal Corruptor," "The Song of Words" and "Anti-Anti-Christ." The artwork is top notch as well -- I can't wait for the new tour!