Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about Ibanez sr4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Sep 27, 2001.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am still gathering info on my new bass purchase that I am planning in about 2 or 3 months. I am still also going to play on a few before I decide to buy. I am looking in the $500 and below range. My first Bass that I am leaning towards is the MTD Kingston, 2nd MIM with Seymore Duncans quater pounders, 3 MIM Jazz with possibly Dimaizio DP 123 or ultra jazz. I dont know that much about the mm pups. of the MTD.

A friend had suggested to check out the Ibanez SR4. Any comments on the SR 460 or 400.

I still may go MIA used p bass I have heard that they can be found with some effort looking.

I mainly play at church but I also play some blues and a little jazz. Thanks for the comments.

Any of these has to be better than my old Yamaha RBX 260

Steve

2. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I do believe you and I are in a similar situation. What kind of tone are you looking for?

On the Sr4, these seem to be nice basses. Not really well built, but there are few in the price rage that are. Seem to have a nice even sound, but can suit a specific tone purpose, and open new tones. Very thin neck, nice for slapping. I happen to like them, and I am looking at an Ibanez as a possible next bass. I happen to like the Ergodyne series, but they are a little different looking. So most of that is very subjective, but you should definetly check one out.

3. IMO, any of those others mentioned is better than the Ibanez's that you also mentioned.

4. I had a sr500 about 8 years old maybe. Had a "Spector" 2 band eq and the rest of the normal sr4 stuff. If you can find one of those used I would go for it. The latest sr400's have "a sound" to me but its a fairly narrow sound in my ears. Meaning that you can get some solid tones out but not a huge amount a varity. For my money buy a used P bass or even better a P delux with a Jazz bridge great tonal varity. I would vote the MTD second. The greatest thing about the SR is the small neck if you are just getting use to a bass. I went from an IBZ sabre guitar (paper thin neck) to bass and it was a very easy transition. But now I think most Jazz bass necks are to small. The Used MIA-P :)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree.

6. I played an SR4something yesterday. I really didn't like it. The sound was about as faceless as you can find anywhere, and there was very little variation. The neck felt like a toothpick. I'm used to my fiver's neck, but the Ibanez still felt kind of insubstatial and cheap. Kingstons are great.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my suggestion is for the easily upgradable MIM jazz bass with quarter pound. in a second time you'll be able to add a preamp. second comes the MTD. mo ibanez in the match...

8. Ibanez BTB, $519, a lot better than SR

9. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I had to take a 1/2 days vacation to drive too 2 different towns. I only played 3 Basses. All Fenders
    A mim p bass which seemed pretty good then I saw a brown sunburst MIM Jazz. I belive it was love at first site. Played extremely well. I really thought that I would like the P-bass better but I didn't. The 3rd bass I found at a different place was a MIM Jazz Re-issue and it was also nice. Neither place seemed to know about the Kingston by MTD but they seemed intreseted when I told them about how every one liked them. The Mtd is still not out of the Picture. But since I have been playing 1978.(I quite playing for about 12 years). I always felt that I would like to be a Fender man. Also if I get the Jazz sunburst I will replace the pickguard with the tortise shell. And in the future I will replace the pickups but I will not be in any hurry. I know that some of you all will be thinking that I will have a large investment in a MIM Bass and I could buy a used MIA bass easily for what I will have in it and you are probably right. I saw an SR Ibanez and was not impressed.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It will probably be late NOV before I purchase but at least my mine will rest a little easier.

Steve

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I have an '96 (or '97) SR400 Fretless w/ passive electronics (volume, blend & tone). It's a "fair" bass at best. Sounds ok, but not a whole lot of bottom. At first I liked the thin neck, but after playing my other basses, it feels kinda cheap in comparison.

- Frank

11. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I have an ibanez sr800 and I like it. I can get a big variety of sounds but only 2 that sound good that I normally use. Bass boost all the way with treble and mid all the way cut (for jazzy stuff), and mid boost to full (for funkaay stuff). true, the bass is really light and the neck is thin as a tooth pick, but I like it and that's why I bought it. :)