1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How about P/P basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ss81, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    So blending a bridge position jazz pickup with a precision pickup adds brightness and makes it sound a little bit like a jazz bass. What does a P/P combo sound like? I'm imagining the sound would be more along the lines of a thunderbird than a jazz. Sound clips would be great if anybody has any.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's an awesome sound. Had a BC Rich with that pickup config and loved the sound.

3. What Timothy said.

I had a 1980 BC Rich Eagle, quilt maple, with P/P DiMarzios and all those switches and knobs. That bass had tones for days.

Anyway, there's not that much difference among most pickups (Note, not ALL) that you'd hear between a P in the bridge position and a J there.

Most of the tonal difference is in the pickup location.

4. The only problem i can think off that happens in P/P setups is when one of the P coils is closer to the bridge than the other, when they arent that far from the bridge i can see this making the D-G strings sound twangier than the E-A strings, if its that coil thats closer, i may be wrong tho, just what i think happens

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Fender P Bass Elite:

I haven't played one in a long time and I don't recall what it sounded like.

[​IMG]

6. here is my favorite P/P bass :)
    i don't own it, but it looks cool :)
    [​IMG]

7. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    That Precision Elite will someday be mine. Either that or Nino will have to build me something similar.

8. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

My boss has this exact same bass. I've played it and it sounds fantastic. He's a drummer and rarely uses it. I'm trying to convince him to sell it to me for dirt cheap. He doesn't know what it's worth. ;)

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The Dude has one that he'll never let go of. I've never been so fortunate as to lay a finger on one :meh: . Black Rose Customs did a nice transparent blue one with a black pickguard a few years ago that was way sweet. I looked, but couldn't locate a pic, sorry...
    Actually, there is another dual-p equipped bass that hasn't been mentioned yet. The FD-3 pickups on Dingwalls are under-cover reverse-p's. Seriously kicking pickups as a matter of fact.

Ken

10. Leland Sklar has played a modified Fender Precision with a double P configuration. It looks like the front P is shifted toward the end of the fingerboard. I think that's the bass Sklar used on sessions with James Taylor and others in the 1970s and 1980s. In the late '90s the Gibson Custom Shop produced a Leland Sklar signature bass. There's a pic and description on Bob Gollihur's Website about half way down the page:

http://www.eclecticbass.com/bass.html

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i think i've seen photos of a guys old custom p with a normal p in the front and a reverse p in the bridge...

12. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California

I spent some time about a week ago trying to track photos of that bass down. One of my favorites from an appearance perspective.

13. Is that Fender active?

Anyone have suggestions or measurments for picukup placement. I am considering a double P either all passive or with just a simple preamp. I already have the pickups kicking around. Of course I have 100 projects in the queue already....

Peace,
    S

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check this out: The classic P placement is the "sweet spot" pretty much halfway between the fretboard and the bridge. Leland Sklar's custom double-P has one P right up by the fretboard, and the other down by the bridge. If you've got plenty of pickups and the urge to kill, why not put pickups in all THREE locations?

I know, "impractical".... :spit:

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I had an early BC Rich Mockingbird for a while. The P-P configuration makes for good sound and an excellent excuse for toilet humor but I'm sticking to single Ps.

16. Why?

I have a box of three P pickups about a foot from where I am sitting... I do tend to play up by the neck so I will have to think about whether that third pickup would get in the way. Now if i could actually come across a portable rig that would do justice to such a beast...

Come to think of it, I did see some guy in a rock-rap band in Denton TX who had about six J type pickups on his bass.

Peace,
    S

17. I guess you were talking about something like this plus a middle

[​IMG]