Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about Parker Fly Bass 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Nov 13, 2004.

1. I got one of new Parker Fly Bass 5 and just wondering if everyone who owned it are happy with the sound.

At first the sound is just fine with me, so I bought it, then later I felt it was rather too different from most of other basses and wondering if Dimarzio pickups are the right choice for bass guitar or not.

Parker's electronics is not so advance for this bass, in my perception and not to mentiond the Piezo which I never used, so what you are getting is a natural pickup sound.

When you are getting a distinctive looking bass you would not expect too distinctive sound from it so it is a little problem to me.

I hardly see a professional bass player have this bass so I don't know what type of music that this standard Parker Bass is suit for but deffinately not jazz.

Do you know this bass well? please advise.

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I thought the Parker Bass was ok, and I would agree with you in regards to the pickups. I had the same issue with my Parker guitar. I don't know why they insist on putting those POS pickups in there. I almost immediately took them out of my guitar, and it was an incredible difference.

3. i heard that they are very good. that they made a few protoypes years ago and are just now being produced. i heard that they vibrate well and are made of multiple layers of sitka spruce wood, the kind acoustic guitar tops are made from.

but i have not heard anything special about elctronics.

if i had one, i would use single coil passive jazz bass pickups.

4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I saw Aerosmith earlier this year, and Tom Hamilton was playing one. Could be just an advertising thing though.....

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played one for a few minutes once and didn't care for the looks or feel of it. Can't really offer an opinion on the sound, but Bass Plaguer gave it a "top tone" award.

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I was really looking forward to playing the production model of this bass after Parker teasing us for years with it, and seeing Steve Swallow's lovely one. And I was incredibly disappointed when I finally got to play one. If anything, I'd say the sound was more suited to jazz than anything else. It is light, does resonate well, and has a fairly "sweet" tone, but is definitely lacking in the "cojones" department. But that's just my experience with it...

Russ :bassist:

7. Cool website on 5MD. Nobody will accuse them of being another pretty boy band.

The parker doesn't have cojones? You mean low bass? Mid bass? attack?

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I played one at Sweetwater once; I wasn't enthused.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I actually like the way these feel and play, but I'm not at all a fan of the J pickup arrangement. If they ever come out with a single humbucker version, I would be very tempted.

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

You could do something like put a Carvin H50N in there, but then again if you are buying a Bass that expensive you should liek the pickup config.

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Does anyone have a photo of the white prototype that was on the cover of Bass Player magazine years ago? It was posted on TB a couple of years ago but I can't find it now.

I was sent a scan of a BP interview with Steve Swallow from '92 or so - it detailed the construction of his prototype five-string: COMPLETELY different from the production bass.

I saw two of the basses in the window of the Bass Cellar in London last week - I didn't have time to go in and ask to try them. They looked better in real life than they do in photographs. I'd like to try one sometime to see if they can cop the Steve Swallow tone.

12. Link here

This has EMG humbuckers, which is what I think it needed in the first place...

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I saw that tour too. I must admit, I didn't like his sound when he played it. He used it fro sweet emotion and it didn't sound right waaaaay too nasally (sp?) Sorry to the original poster, I'm not trying to slime anyone.

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    To my ears, it was missing that thick low-mid "shove" that I tend to crave in a bass. That's kinda unusual as most basses with two J pickups seem to be able to get that type of sound with no problem. Plenty of attack, highs and detail, but just not enough thickness.

Russ :bassist:

15. Thanks to you guys for all the thoughts.

I can borrow Bartolini and Bassline pickup from the store to check with this Parker and see if I will get the sound that was missing.
    I am not certain if the slot ports for holding the pickup on Dimarzio pickups are a standard type though the length and width are (95 cm).

Does anyone have the experience?

I thought of getting a split coil type instead of single. Is this a good choice? How about the stack? I have no idea what it is like to be hornest !

Thanks once again. :hyper:

16. dig the LEDS. woulnd't work on a vintage but does on yours.probably work well on kubicki factor or even the fly bass. how is it wired.

hear you on the low mids- typical of solid body featherweights. but easier to eq up some artificial mid bass than a cool harmonic signature.