How about playing it the other way?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Plucky, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    hi people, i hope you guys help me on this one because this is something i really want to know.

ive been looking for new basses but im not actually in a search for one (no $). so ive found that most of the models i liked were only available righty and not lefty. so what? i wanna know if theres some way that i can put a new pin/locks in any bass to play a righty one lefty, restringing it (sp?).

i would figure out how to play without moving the knobs, but im pretty much convinced this is something, at least, doable. so i need advice and some hints about how to do and if i should.

thanks in advance and waiting for input.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Restringing the bass and moving the buttons is no big deal.

Balance is another issue all together. The more symetrical the body design, the better.

The long upper horn isn't just for looks. It is designed to make the bass balance correctly when strapped on.

The greater the horn length difference, offset of the waste and general assymetry of the body, the more uncomfortable it is likely to be.

Sure Jimi did it with a strat, but remember that a strat has a straight waist, and a guitar is much shorter, so it balances more easily.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Long ago in a hazy lazy age of Free love and Happy Drugs there was a dude named Jimi Hendrix.
    (he did it with a geetar whammy thing and all)

You'll need to have a new nut cut and it'll need a complete setup. It'll work
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i highly recommend that you purchase a lefty bass. i play lefty and tried starting out with a righty strung for lefty - big mistake. the balance issue really got to me.

the controls are harder to manipulate on an upside down bass.

i know what you mean about the money thing!!! it doesn't grow on trees with me either!!!!

i started on a six (upside down - i was already an established trumpet player) then i returned it because it was just a pain in the ass to play. i then bought an ibanez (lefty) and recently bought a MIM Jazz lefty. along with a sadowsky pre, i am very happy with the sound. it's more the player than the axe (i'm not saying i'm a great bass player, but if i could play the bass like i play trumpet, i would be considered somewhat decent :D )

getting back to what i was saying, buy a lefty and forget the righty backwards - you probably won't be happy

let me know if you have any more questions