Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how about putting a mm-style PU on a jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alfons åberg, Jul 18, 2002.

1. alfons åberg

alfons åberg

Jul 16, 2002
    Helsinki
    i love the Stingray sound, but haven't got the money for one, so i'm thinking on installing a seumor duncan MM-replacement at the bridge in my tokai jazz bass...
    what do you think about that?
    i would also have to get the 3-band seymor duncan preamp, don't know how the passive Jazz neck-PU works with it. well, i hardly ever use the neck PU anyway.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've heard of a number of people doing this. Apparently it can be a very successful modification. There are however a few things to consider first:
    -You will have to rout the body meaning that:
    -You can kiss resale value goodbye (not a huge problem with Tokais though...)
    -I've heard of problems balancing the outputs of the two PU's (although Warwick, Lakland, and a host of others seem to manage it)
    -By the time you pay for the parts and labour involved, how close are you to paying off a Stingray?

I'm not saying don't do it. I might do the same to a Jazz at some point myself, I'm just mentioning these points so you know what's involved and the consequences. If you still want to do it, I say go for it by all means!

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    are you dreaming something like this?

[​IMG]

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    very nice barroso! What is it?
    K

5. alfons åberg

alfons åberg

Jul 16, 2002
    Helsinki
    thanks for your opinions guys!
    I bought the seymor duncan PU&preamp today. Let's see how it gets. Have to do pretty much routing in the body I now realise.
    Something i didn't think about was that the old PU-cavity is actually too long, and there is probably no wood where the mm-PU screw-holes should be...
    glueing some wooden plugs should do the trick.

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    screws shouldn't be a problem as they DO go into the cavity area. Think about it, you have to route for the pickup ears(jazz,MM,whatever) and the screws go through the ears into the wood at the bottom of the cavity.
    Of course I could be wrong........
    K

7. alfons åberg

alfons åberg

Jul 16, 2002
    Helsinki
    "You can kiss resale value goodbye (not a huge problem with Tokais though...) "

you're right Dan, it's really no huge problem with Tokais, atleast this one; It will probably raise the resail value, because my beaten up Tokai was actually cheaper than the new PU itself:p

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I recently (yesterday) got this one:

[​IMG]

I dig the sound a lot, and it looks great. Kind of strange, it has a P neck, which I may not keep. But it's exactly what you were talking about - quite a range of tones.