Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about some help singing leads.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by christos, Feb 3, 2002.

1. I just got home from an audition, and my playing was exceptional, but I had to sing two leads, without playing, just singing. I got so nervous, you could actually see me shaking. Any tips on overcoming fear of singing, I do backups all the time, and I have a good time, but as soon as my safety blanket(AKA Bass) is put away I get scared as heck. Thanks for any advice. I hope I didn't screw up this audition, if I get this gig it will be full time playing, no more 9-5 job.

2. Make sure you have that bass in your hands, and if needed, act like your playing it. I'm used to playing and singing at the same time, so its no big deal for me, but I know it started on backup vocals.

Just make sure you hold that bass for comfort at first. Eventually you'll start getting over it (yea i know everyone says it, and u know why? cause its true...hehe) and you'll get into the singing.

In my band I have a song where its just my vocals, and the guitarist. At the beginning I turn down the volume on my bass, and fiddle with the bass, but eventually I start letting go of the bass, holding the mic, acting like a crazy lunatic and such.

3. Maybe you could shake a bit more and make it a feature as per Elvis Presley? Add a few pelvic thrusts?? :D

No seriously, I do some main singing too, but I play at the same time. There are a few intros and choruses where I don't play and feel very exposed, but I quite enjoy being able to concentrate on my singing. Hold on to your bass if it makes you feel better.

If you feel yourself shaking, try and shift your leg position (assuming it's your legs that are shaking!)- move around so it's less noticable. I'm sure it won't take long before you feel more comfortable taking the lead. Go for it!
    Good Luck! :)

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I sing quite a few songs (lead) in my band. However, I am also playing them at the same time. I also started out singing backup, which I still do in almost all songs that require backup vocals, and I just weened into singing lead vocals as well. I was nervous as hell the first few times I did it, even though I was playing at the same time. Eventually, though, I was able to overcome the initial fear of being "in the spotlight". Now I even kind of enjoy it a little bit.

My only advice is not to worry about it, the nervousness will pass. The more you do it, the easier it gets.