how about stuart power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masterFunk, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Here is the rig.

Alembic pre
    SWR Goliath junior (2x10)

I was using QSC amp from my band's "unused and neglected" things... It has like 800 watts at 4ohms and makes hidious fan noise that makes people think I am doing harmonics.

So.. I want to get a new amp.. is stuart any good? I found a nice used one..
    I am open to suggestions..

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think it would be cheaper to get the QSC fixed than to buy another amp. Aside from that, I've had my Stewart PA-1000 for many years now, and its a great little amp. Since it has no fan, it can get a little hot, but I've had it shut down on me only once.

Good luck.
  3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    I've recently started using a Stewart World 1.2 with an old Yamaha PB-1. Being a die-hard tube guy I didn't think it was gonna work. WOW was I wrong! That 1.2 has GOBS of power and headroom. I would highly reccomend trying one!
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I've used an Alembic F-1X and a Stewart World 1.2 for over 4 years now. It's been a great rig and I've never had a problem with it. What's really slick is that you can use a two rack space case to house the entire unit. I never had any heat troubles with this rig, even after playing a four hour gig.

The World 1.2 pumps 750 watts at 8 ohms and 1200 watts at 4 ohms when running it in bridged mono. That's a lot of power to be sending at your SWR cab, but if managed properly, I don't think you'll have a problem. Additionally, you could add a 15 or an 18 down the road and use the bi amp capability of the F-1X. All in all, I think you very well might be very happy with this amp.

Best Wishes,
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I heard this from a friend, but Stewart Used to and may still (not necessarily) use leftover military components, which are a pain to replace if something goes wrong. Just something to think about. Again, I don't know if this is current practice. Also, I heard they overheat and sometimes even catch fire. I am not dissing them; this is only what I've heard...
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Do you know what QSC model it is?