Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how about stuart power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masterFunk, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Here is the rig.

Alembic pre
    ?
    SWR Goliath junior (2x10)

I was using QSC amp from my band's "unused and neglected" things... It has like 800 watts at 4ohms and makes hidious fan noise that makes people think I am doing harmonics.

So.. I want to get a new amp.. is stuart any good? I found a nice used one..
    I am open to suggestions..

Thanks.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think it would be cheaper to get the QSC fixed than to buy another amp. Aside from that, I've had my Stewart PA-1000 for many years now, and its a great little amp. Since it has no fan, it can get a little hot, but I've had it shut down on me only once.

Good luck.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I've recently started using a Stewart World 1.2 with an old Yamaha PB-1. Being a die-hard tube guy I didn't think it was gonna work. WOW was I wrong! That 1.2 has GOBS of power and headroom. I would highly reccomend trying one!
    GEEK

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    MF,

I've used an Alembic F-1X and a Stewart World 1.2 for over 4 years now. It's been a great rig and I've never had a problem with it. What's really slick is that you can use a two rack space case to house the entire unit. I never had any heat troubles with this rig, even after playing a four hour gig.

The World 1.2 pumps 750 watts at 8 ohms and 1200 watts at 4 ohms when running it in bridged mono. That's a lot of power to be sending at your SWR cab, but if managed properly, I don't think you'll have a problem. Additionally, you could add a 15 or an 18 down the road and use the bi amp capability of the F-1X. All in all, I think you very well might be very happy with this amp.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I heard this from a friend, but Stewart Used to and may still (not necessarily) use leftover military components, which are a pain to replace if something goes wrong. Just something to think about. Again, I don't know if this is current practice. Also, I heard they overheat and sometimes even catch fire. I am not dissing them; this is only what I've heard...

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Do you know what QSC model it is?

-Bob