How about Taking Back Sunday?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I just picked their new album, Where You Want To Be, and I'm really digging it so far. Labels aside ("indie", "emo" or whatever) it's just a great rock record, and Matt Rubano's bass playing really shines. Anyone else like this CD? Is their first album worth picking up?
  2. i really like set phaser to stun
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    They're a guilty pleasure band, I don't own any of their albums, but I've enjoyed a few of their songs. "Cute without the 'E'", their hit, is good, I think most people would reccommend their first album.
  4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've just recently started listening to both. I like the band a lot, but like their newest CD since it's got Matt Rubano. Their first one is good, and worth buying, but the bass isn't the same.
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What he said.
  6. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I think Matt Rubano is also a session bassist, who has played with Lauryn Hill, so the better bass on this album makes sense.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have the first album. It's an ok listen, though I can't really get past the singer's voice. Having seen them live, I can tell you that there is a _lot_ of Studio Magic going on to keep him in the right key. You can kind of hear it if you really listen.

Should that matter? Probably not. But it still bugs me.
  8. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I don't really take them seriously. Saw them live, was'nt impressed. First album is quaint. The kind of band if you strip away modern recording techniques I don't think you'll find much left. Picking up a session bassist is a good indicator too. But hey they are generating money (hopefully for themselves) and get to see a lot more of the country than me. In ten years no body will no who the hell they are, but thats pop for you.