how about that Jeff Ament, a.k.a God???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PearlF'nJam, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Yes, Ament rocks me

24 vote(s)
  2. No, He blows

11 vote(s)
  3. Jeff who??

10 vote(s)
  1. PearlF'nJam

Jan 14, 2002
    Hello, I was just curious what all you cool cats though of Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam???? Personally, i think he kicks serious ass both on bass and on stage.

P.S.- Pearl Jam rocks me
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Jeff is one of my favorites bass players.....
    check out Perl Jam´s DVD..... you can see all his setup and playing!!!!
  3. Jeff's lines were the first I learned to play. He still rocks me with simplicity that works.
  4. YESSS!!!!!!! I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!

I love jeff's has inspired me in so many ways...not only the simplicitybut the melody too...
  5. LimoWreck909

Oct 5, 2001
    Jeff Ament - god? probably not. criminally underrated? definately yes. his lines fit so well with all the pearl jam songs. and i should know...i own all the studio albums + two live albums and 3 singles.
  6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I don't listen to Pearl Jam all that much, though loved the "Ten" album. Something struck me sometime ago. I was watching their MTV Unplugged performance of "Porch" and I was just watching Ament's energy and watching those fingers move. His basslines are amazing. Also liked his work in Temple of the Dog. I'd like to hear some of his other projects.
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have listened to Pearl Jam for quite a while now, and even before I became a bass player I loved his basslines.
    So, yes, he rocks!:)
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I like Jeff Ament, but not tons. I think he's got some real tasty lines that show a good amount of creativity and complexity, without stealing the show, so-to-speak.

OTOH, I can't get past his's just not for me.

I put him somewhere in the "good to better-than-many" category.
  9. Which one? He's got sooooooooo many...he sounds different on every album, and almost on every song (after Ten)...there's the fretted (so many pickup combinations, BTW), the fretless, 8 string, 12 string, Upright...
  10. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I love his tone in "Why Go" from Ten, it´s so deep and full, it´s like cheese cake for my ears:D :p
  11. As previously posted, I don't follow PJ, but listened to the 10 record quite a bit due to my living condition at the time. I thought Ament was, and is, a very fine bassist who sets a perfect example of what a bassist should be. Rock solid, creative and melodic yet focused on the groove, and very fine tone. I'm old school, though playing real fast and slappy and lots of notes is something I can do, it isn't why I get hired. I think more people should concentrate on a player like Ament rather than a lot of players who get more than enough attention.
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Jeff Ament is awesome.I got the sheet music for "TEN",I learned a few songs,then put it away.This thread has inspired me to learn some more songs!
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    jeff ament is one of my favorates. really got me interested in fretless.

i love how he can create tension with one note, such as in "dissident" during the musical interlude.

i also admire how he can create interesting lines out of one or two chords. very impressive to me.

he ranks up there with flea, eric avery, and justin chancellor in mine eyes.
  14. SpOOnMan

Mar 8, 2002
    Poland, Warsaw
    Jeff is great, he knows what to play and where. I love harmonics in his songs - Alive and of course Indifference. I just came back from playing with my band. we will have concert tomorrow and we had to play everything without any mistake.

Tomorrow I'll chek out how I play Ament's lines.
  15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    He's good, but that's about it.

Which video is it where he's stomping around behind Vedder? I think it's "Evenflow," but I am not sure. Weird, weird stuff.
  16. I like his work. Rich and interesting rather than difficult and histrionic.

His feel on fretless is great, too.
  17. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Jeff Ament? absolute dynamite player, IMO - considering the guy has to contend with 3 guitars, he does a remarkable job of cutting through and being creative. the guy has a lot of talent and musical maturity, and it shows in his lines. i've only ever heard him have a 'wank' once - check his ballistic fretless solo during the outro on the song "Blood", off of "Versus".
    hearing that was proof to me that he has phenomenal technical skill and intonation, but chooses to approach his bass playing in a 'for the song' capacity. brilliant.
  18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Check out Jeff's old project Three Fish......he does some very nice unPearl Jam like playing on it;)
  19. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA

Jeff Ament is a good player, very solid and generally plays lines that are complimentary to the song. I'd hardly consider him to be god-like... and after Pearl Jam's pathetic display in Seattle a few weeks ago, I've lost what little respect I had for them.

For those who don't know, they played two nights in a row at a Seattle club called The Showbox. They were so drunk/stoned/whatever they they could hardly play.

Nice. Way to put on a show for the hometown.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've seen Pearl Jam a few times, and they where usually great..........but I also seen them do a gig they seemed to be pissing on.........I just chalked it up to them having a bad gig..........lord knows I've had my share of gigs that have just plain sucked;)