How about the Guitar player?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backtoschool, Feb 7, 2002.

1. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've understood that for a medium size gig you need at least 300W, and that the bass should be 3 to 4 times as many watts as the guitar player. What would any of you suggest the guitar watts should be for a medium size gig?

We play instrumental rock that shifts between light and heavy sounds. No PA. That is all I can think of that one would need to know to make a suggestion. If anything else just ask:)
  2. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    And yes, ideally the guitarst would be at 0 watts. Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated!
  3. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i donno, my 45 tube watt fender guitar amp is REALLY REALLY LOUD.
  4. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yea tube's gonna be a lot louder..
  5. I say 30-50... assuming its a tube amp.
  6. 30-50 watts for heavy rock!? Most bands in that vein of music use MUCH more. If I'm not wrong that is, I thought you were talking about bands like Liquid Tension Experiment, AC/DC, Limp Noodle (ewwww)? Those bands are what I consider heavy rock.
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    If your guitarist knows how to use the "master volume" control and exercises that knowledge, a 4x12" half-stack would be fine. If not, it may be best to relegate him to a 1x12", though it won't sound as good. Anything less than a 1x12" for a geetarist, however is going to sound like crap at high volumes, and being a little bit loud isn't as bad as sounding like crap.
  8. If you want to stay clean and loud, a 100+ watt tube amplifier is necessary, with a good dirt box. If you want to be dirty all the time, fifty or less will work. A 4x12 cabinet is a necessity for good projection and depth of sound. A 4x10 cabinet works well for single coil guitars though.
  9. We're talking medium sized gigs though.

The Vox AC-30 is 30 watts or so and incredibly loud when cranked. They're also unreliable (a good friend of mine had 2 new ones break.. the second one worked for all of 30 seconds.. the first one lasted a bit longer until total failure but it blew a few caps the first night and needed to be serviced after that.... at least he got his money back).
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A 50W tube amp w/ 212 cab should be enough.
    And I can see no need to get more than 100W and a 412 which seems to be the 'standard setup'.
    E.g. my brother plays in a very loud hardcore band with a 60W (?) Soldano and a 412.

11. Yeah, so am I. I consider a medium size gig to be around 150 people and a larger room than a dive bar. If you're playing heavy rock music, that pretty much necessitates a half stack, especially without PA support.