Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about the Guitar player?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backtoschool, Feb 7, 2002.

1. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've understood that for a medium size gig you need at least 300W, and that the bass should be 3 to 4 times as many watts as the guitar player. What would any of you suggest the guitar watts should be for a medium size gig?

We play instrumental rock that shifts between light and heavy sounds. No PA. That is all I can think of that one would need to know to make a suggestion. If anything else just ask:)

2. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    And yes, ideally the guitarst would be at 0 watts. Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

3. 100

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i donno, my 45 tube watt fender guitar amp is REALLY REALLY LOUD.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yea tube's gonna be a lot louder..

6. I say 30-50... assuming its a tube amp.

7. 30-50 watts for heavy rock!? Most bands in that vein of music use MUCH more. If I'm not wrong that is, I thought you were talking about bands like Liquid Tension Experiment, AC/DC, Limp Noodle (ewwww)? Those bands are what I consider heavy rock.

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If your guitarist knows how to use the "master volume" control and exercises that knowledge, a 4x12" half-stack would be fine. If not, it may be best to relegate him to a 1x12", though it won't sound as good. Anything less than a 1x12" for a geetarist, however is going to sound like crap at high volumes, and being a little bit loud isn't as bad as sounding like crap.

9. If you want to stay clean and loud, a 100+ watt tube amplifier is necessary, with a good dirt box. If you want to be dirty all the time, fifty or less will work. A 4x12 cabinet is a necessity for good projection and depth of sound. A 4x10 cabinet works well for single coil guitars though.

10. We're talking medium sized gigs though.

The Vox AC-30 is 30 watts or so and incredibly loud when cranked. They're also unreliable (a good friend of mine had 2 new ones break.. the second one worked for all of 30 seconds.. the first one lasted a bit longer until total failure but it blew a few caps the first night and needed to be serviced after that.... at least he got his money back).

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A 50W tube amp w/ 212 cab should be enough.
    And I can see no need to get more than 100W and a 412 which seems to be the 'standard setup'.
    E.g. my brother plays in a very loud hardcore band with a 60W (?) Soldano and a 412.

Matthias

12. Yeah, so am I. I consider a medium size gig to be around 150 people and a larger room than a dive bar. If you're playing heavy rock music, that pretty much necessitates a half stack, especially without PA support.