How about the Radial Tonebone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by audioripple, Oct 26, 2004.

1. audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
    who have use it? And post a review.
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've tried it, so heres a mini review of my findings

It's a good idea you know being able to link two basses into one amp or one bass with different eq's, the unit has a good easy to use and understand layout. One channel has a bass, mid and treble knobs the other has 3 preset eq curves, pretty easy to figure out.

It's very solidly built and I would easily trust it on my pedal board getting stepped on night after night.

My problem is that to me it didn't sound very good, the presets all seemed a bit bland and didn't really feel like they we're adding a kick to your sound, maybe this is that legendary transparency that every one is talking about but I personally didn't like it, the other channel where you have bass, mid and treble conrtols was better obviously because you could sculpt your tone as much as you wanted.

But overall I found the unit to be expensive, lacking in TONE you know tone that when you hear it makes you want to cry. I ended up getting an aphex bass exciter, I found it was much more suited to what I wanted, which was to make passive basses sound beefier and more active like.

I'm sure some one can post a glowing review but I myself didn't like it that much, I will say I didn't try it through the best bass and amp so maybe I was expecting a little to much magic from a black box.

Hope this helps
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This unit (tonebone bassbone) looks perfect for me from a feature set point of view ... any more reviews on how it sounds?
  4. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I picked up a Bassbone about 6 months ago and was disappoined with the sound. I agree with TaySte 2000's comments completely. It is build like a tank and the features are cool, however, it just does not live up to what I expected from a sound point of view. If anything it degraded my sound.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bummer. Reviews seem really mixed. I have a hard time believing that Will Lee and Chuck Rainey would both endorse a unit that didn't sound good ... so I wonder what is going on.

What I really want is a Raven Labs PMB-II ... any other suggested equivalents?
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I A/B'd one against a Sadowsky DI preamp. Picked the Sadowsky. However, I wasn't looking for all the features that the Bassbone offers. I was looking for a clear DI with nice tone. The midrange option, and two inputs would have been nice, but not enough for me to spend more, plus have to worry about "lesser" tone.