Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How about them Taxes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got home from picking up my tax return from my accountant.....i think he might be a little pissed off at me - i owe a lot of money for last year (because of a lot of gigs).....bummer :(

how about you guys?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why would he be pissed at you? What does he care how much you owe?

I owed five hunnert and I paid it last month.

brad cook

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think your makeing far too much money, I suggest you send me a mounthly stippened and claim me as a "dependent" ;) As an unemployed 47 year old I would be more then willing to help you out of this "problem", you can't complain, Remember Pres. Clinton called them contributions! I'm sure that makes you feel better! :D

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    long story....he just doesn't seem the same :(

we used to take each other to lunch quite often, but i think what really did it was that we never hit the shooting range - he always wanted me to take him to shoot (i guess anything to get him out of the house, away from his wife) :D

5. I submitted mine early for the first time ever. No &^%... after I did it we hit a cold and rainy snap for a week here in Denver. I think hell might have frozen over!

6. I mailed mine today. I owe zero. Pretty cool. If your a giggin musician you need to get a section C bad! you can save big money on big brother.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I did mine through Telefile at the beginning of February. I usually tackle it right away as soon as my W2 comes in. I claim 0 so it's pretty simple.

I'll never understand how my refund is calculated though:

2000 - Got a decent refund

2001 - Made more money and paid more taxes than 2000 and got less back...

2002 - Made more money and paid more taxes and got the exact same refund as 2001..

2003 - Made more money and paid more taxes and got more back than the previous years (yay!)

2004 - Made more money still and paid more taxes and got back less money than 2003...

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I always do mine as soon as all my W-2s and 1098s are in. I've been filing online since 2000, so for the past five years I've gotten my refund back before the end of February. The past two years we got the EIC as well, so we've gotten big refunds without paying too much in.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    FOURSTRINGDRUMS,

Love the avatar. I'm a longtime fan. :)

brad cook

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks. I was watching it earlier today and thought the scene would make a good one :)

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, smash, what's canada's tax sitchiashun like?

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ???

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What? You don't find tax-time disgusting too?! :p

brad cook

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, yeah, that was my whole point! :D

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    This year I paid $59 in taxes for my $2000 income. I don't work so I'm not precisely sure how this works out, but I know for a fact that my parents' accountant uses the 'scale' method to estimate tax refunds.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I had a $300 Federal return, but I owed $200 in local taxes.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being an independent contractor, I always have to pay.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm currently classified as an independent contractor as well.

P. Aaron - Do you send in quarterly 1040-ES payments? I just sent my first for this year.

brad cook

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto

this is what got me - i actually report my gigs....

20. Decent refund from both state and fed, I think I need to invest it.....into a StingRay5.