How about using an SWR big ben as a stand-alone for now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oversoul, May 9, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    The price of it seems fair, and I would prefer investing in a sub first than something like a 2x10 to match it. And how about a good amp to deal those two cabs? I was thinking of getting a hartke 4000, but I need a biamp system to get two cabinets on the go right?I really need to start learning more amp stuff :meh:
  2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    From the SWR web site's description:

"Very fast for an 18". Can be used as a stand-alone or as part of a bi-amp system."

The thing don't have to biamp...amp makers are moving away from that because cabs do fine full range most of the time. Just be sure that you get an amp with enough power for your intended uses...and maybe a bit extra, just to be sure.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you go with an 18, expect lots of thump and not a lot of definition, at least not in comparison to tens, twelves and even fifteens... :meh:
  4. Tornado bass hit it right on the mark.

You definately don't need to bi-amp these days. The cabs will be fine without it.

Do yourself a favor and get the most watts in an amp you can afford. Take it from me, nothing sucks worse than not having enough power to drive your beautiful cabs.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm going to throw my opinion in here, and you or anyone else can feel free to disagree with me......

but I personally would find a good 2x10 cabinet and THEN add the Big Ben. A good 2x10 will be able to handle anything you throw at it (including a B string if you're a 5 string player) and sound really, really good. The Big Ben, however, will require A LOT of tweaking and adjusting to get anything but a heavy reggae dub or something similar. The Big Ben is a great cab, but from what I've played it just wouldn't sound right as a stand-alone cab.
  6. I personally agree with you TY. A 2x10 will sound much better alone than an 18 sub but who knows what sound someone else is looking for?
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Oversoul, one thing that would really help us is to fill out your profile, or at least when you ask a question give us a little bit of information regarding the type of music you'll be playing.

If you're going to be playing mainly reggae, I say the Big Ben will be the ONLY way to go! :p If you're going to be playing rock, however, the Big Ben will be SEVERELY lacking for your applications, I'm afraid. That's not always going to be true because everyone is different, but I find it very hard to believe that someone could like a single 18" better than 2x10's, 4x10's, or even 12"s.
  8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Well, my reasons are that I'm besides being a B user, I also got a low F# :bag: I got a GT-7 tuned F# to C, but I'm not a rocker, thats why I would leave the 10's to last choice, everything I tried that small ends up farting when I boost the lows, I'm really going for that Dub sound you were mentioning, like those really fat bass synths you find in some soul/hip hop stuff, I also slap a lot, but the project I'm now focusing is totally chilled out soul, very little pyrothecnics. Acctually my whole bass education was made trough an Hartke 1415 15" combo,so I guess I can say that I really became used to having that rounded sound. Only recently I started using 4X10 amp stuff but while they are slapperz delight, they just don't have enough "whoof" for my taste
    (then again It could be that I just don't know how to make a decent EQ..). Thank you to all for your input, this was acctualy my first talkbass thread, thank god someone replied :D
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    How about a 2x12? They're usually a little bit more expensive than either an 18 or 10s, but I personally LOVE the sound of 12s. They are usually more than enough to handle just about anything you throw at them.

I don't know about your budget, but IMO, an Aguilar GS412 sounds RIGHT up your alley.
  10. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I have a Big Ben and have tried playing it alone. I've become used to having a tweeter, so I didn't really like the tweeterless sound, but it did sound quite clear. It's capable of pretty ridiculous lows, so your F# should be fine through it, you just won't get any sort of good hi-fi sound out of it until you get the 2 x 10, or whatever you wind up getting.

My verdict: It's ok as a standalone, but it may not be what you want, because it really doesn't have the highs at all, though it surprises me with its mid punch if I ask it to have one.
  11. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    check out some of the lower end GK set ups, 2x10 cab with a 15 cab at 175 watts.....

Nothing with much power but it should manage to hit the deep lows and still have some deffintion in the high end for that extended range.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Well, OK, if you're gonna do dub.