How abrasive are half rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, Jul 11, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I have a Fender Jazz fretless and want a bit more ‘zing’ but don’t want to use round wound strings as I know they’ll chew up the fret board. The bass currently has the stock Fender flats suplied when new.
    I’m thinking of trying the Rotosound or D’Addario half round strings, how abrasive are they? How bright are they?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've used half flats on my Jazz fretless without any ill effect upon the fingerboard. They're not as abrasive as rounds, but not as smooth as flats.

In fact, they're about half way in the middle.

Makes sense, right.

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    It's a simple answer to a simple question .. and one I was hoping to hear.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I strongly urge you to get the strings you think sound best! I guess rounds wear strings a little faster than flats, but there's no reason to panic. As a roundwound user for 25 years (usually stainless rounds), I have noticed wear but have only had to get two fret dressings, and have never had to get a full refret.
  5. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    He's asking in regards to a fretless. Roundwounds will chew up a wooden fretboard about a bazillion times faster than it would a fret. Especially if it's a rosewood Fender fingerboard. And having to have the fingerboard replaced is a wholly different animal than having the frets redressed.

I believe Alembic makes a half-round string that all of their fretless basses are strung with so I assume that the effect of half-rounds on the fingerboard will be, at most, negligible.

6. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    You might want to try Smith Compressors or SIT Silencers. I've used both of them on fretless, and IMO they sound great & are gentle on the boards. (Fretted sound pretty good as well). Make your ears happy. :)
  7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I can answer this question myself now and the answer is “far too abrasive !!”. I fitted a set of Rotosound SM 55 half wounds, set up the bass and it sounded great. Did a sound check and 45 minute set, so played for about 1 hour and I already have ware lines on the fretboard. When I put the strings on I thought that they were almost as rough as the roundwounds I use on my fretted and I think they are.

Well I think it’s straight back to flatwounds, which ones are the brightest, or is that a contradiction?
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Perhaps Rotosound ANYTHINGS chew stuff up.