1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How accurate are mint green pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkRenegade, Jul 24, 2012.

1. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    compared to the real vintage one? I bought a mint green guard on a whim, and the color doesn't seem so natural. I left a bright white am std pickguard in the backyard for a couple of weeks and it turned more natural yellow greenish color. It's not aged 50 years, but looks much better than the bright white guard. Hmm. The mint green guard doesn't look so green in the pic. Can you guess which is which
    [​IMG]

2. There isn't a line in "vintage green guards", as the colouring really depends from what year they are (1963 is known for turning really green), and how much exposure to air and UV it has. The mint guards Fender puts out as a replacement part for the American Vintage is very alike to a 1964 guard.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyhow, a mintgreen pickguard can look better on solid vintage body finishing: stayin' a mere aesthetic peculiarity for "vintage completists", more than on black or vintage/olympic/arctic whites, it should come perfect on fiesta or candy apple reds, sonic or lake placid blues, surf or sherwood forest greens...

The genius of Mr. Big's Paul Gilbert used to tap "green tinted '60s mind"

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    There's also several different companies making the current 'mint' material too, there's some really horrible green stuff floating around and some nice grey green.. Pays to dig around.

5. the mint green guard is the one on top.....I think they look best on pastel colors like sonic blue and surf green....I had one briefly on a sunburst P-bass and it looked weird.

6. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for chiming in.

I'm not exactly a vintage junkie and I like modern fenders with some vintage cues. I owned a sunburst p, sunburst j and candy apple j before, but I eventually got rid of them.

Guard on top and the black body are from an 08 american p. I know people hate bright white guards. Try leaving them out in the sun for a while.

The aftermarket guard looks much greener in the flesh. Almost like pistachio. I need to learn to take better pics.

7. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    I'm into playing guitars also:eek:, and I just love olympic white fenders.
    [​IMG]

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... The first combo, not better than with, say, parchment pickguard...

When I started to read you were into Strato too, I really thought of Squier Classic Vibe Simon Neil's Fiesta red (& mintgreen) Stratocaster and James Johnston's Lake Placid blue (& mintgreen) Jazz bass, from Scots finest Biffy Clyro

Cheers,
    Wallace