1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How adjustable is the Hipshot A bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chinjazz, Jul 19, 2007.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hi, I've been trying to determine how much the Hipshot A bridge is adjustable sideways?

I'm looking to move my G string inward away from the neck edge.

I send an email to Brian at Bestbassgear and he said around 1.5mm. This doesn't seem like much really, but given the distance of the string and geometry it may make perfect sense.

Thanks, for any of your first hand experience/insights.

Adam

2. 1.5 mm is about 0.06 inches, slightly more than the width (diameter) if your G string (and slightly less than your D string). Push the G string over by this amount with your finger (just above the bridge) and see if that works for you.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can buy the A bridge with different spacings. I think from 20mm down to ~ 16.5mm. Just buy a narrower bridge to start with if you need better than 1.5mm travel.

4. hipshot did a custom A bridge for me in 16mm for the latest bass I finished (see Chris Clemente's bass thread). They milled out the little wall dividers between the saddles so that they could fit that narrow string spacing and still keep the 3D adjustability of each saddle. They also milled little grooves for the height adjustment set screws to ride along.

5. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Very good and interesting point... I'll investigate that for sure.

Thanks!

6. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL

That cool! I didn't know they did custom work.. Probaby comes with a premium no doubt, but could be worth it.

7. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks for the tip! ~ Adam

8. I have an OEM account with them and order a lot of hardware on a regular basis. They didn't charge me a single penny over the regular price. I don't know if it would be the same to the general public, but contact them ...they are known for outstanding customer service.

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'm a big fan of Hipshot. They sent me a card over the holidays!

10. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Can't argue with that!

Ok I just measured one. The bar that slides side to side is .550 and the bridge walls are .643 apart. So you have .093 travel, which means .0465 either way from center.

Assumption here is that the area the saddle sits in is the same regardless of the spacing of the frame.

11. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the info! I've always tweaked my basses and have learned a lot. I just got a SX fretless jazz copy that's needing my attention in the set up department. Want to get it to be lower action without un-wanted buzz. I'll read up on it before I start asking. Anyway, off topic here... :)

Again, thanks!

Adam