Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how am i driving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 19, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Call 1-800-xyz-abcd, ext. 123

Has anyone ever called one of these numbers, to report a dangerous driver?

If so, what happened?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's a comedian who i saw do a bit about that years ago...don't remember which one. He was talking about calling up one of the numbers and reporting how good some driver was. "He did this U-turn that brought a tear to my eye. " or something like that. It was funny at the time.

brad cook

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Heck yeah, I call. I take great pleasure in it, as anyone who is stupid enough to drive insanely bad in a monitored vehicle deserves to be cited. Of course, perhaps they know that nothing will come of it...

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    When I was a tenager we used to call those numbers on my dad's car phone all the time and my friend would pretend to be some old guy (he did a great Grandpa Simpson type voice) and complain that the driver was driving naked and "revealing himself".

It seemed funny at the time.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "cited"

Please forgive my vocab nazi moment...i've seen "sited" used where it should have been "cited" several times in the last few days. I've finally snapped.

brad cook

6. [​IMG]

the all new digme

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess you had to be there.:meh:

8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    How do you know he didn't mean "sighted". He would need to be sighted to be driving and sighted to be reported.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    or maybe he meant 'cited as in excited -- just by the way he was jumping up and down telling the story. I can see for miles!

10. Sort of off topic. My father and I were coming back from a ski trip and there was a car with the "honk if you love jesus" bumper sticker on it. So my dad is a goofball and honked and the guy flipped us off! I laughed so hard that I thought I was going to piss myself! Must'of been on the car when he bought it.

Welcome to the disclaimer!

If there would have been a number... I would have called it!

:bag:

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL so funny that you posted this. About 4 years ago i was working for a co. that deliverd paper products (exciting huh). Well the truck was as big as the big u-haul truck. Well i was getting ready to make a really hairy turn so i had my turn signal on and was very slowly trying to make the turn without hitting the walls of 2 diff buildings (it was downtown joplin) when about half way i feel a little bump. Well i was afraid maybe i touched a building so i got out to look. Well instead a 85 year old woman in a brand new merc, slammed into the back of me. Soooo the police show up and the old lady tells him that i was just stopped with no turn signal on, so the officer jumps into my truck and turns the key on. Guess what it was on. The cop gets really mad at this old lady because she is a totall grump butt. Keep in mind this truck is school bus yellow. The officer was in the middle of telling this old lady off when i get a phone call on the co. cell phone. Well it was my very pissed off boss telling me that i am probably going to get fired because some old lady just called and said i wass driving like a mad man and made her crash. But it was all cool because the cop talked to my boss. Sorry guess you had to be there.

12. You are the first person ever to have a cop around when you need one! That rocks!

Well... maybe not the first person but that's really freakin' funny!

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah well that hasnt happend often in my life! The best part was it didnt even scratch the paint on the work truck but it wasted her nice car. The step bar on the rear of the truck just smashed her hood. She was a crazy old woman that was so mad that her blood was boiling. When i got out of the truck and went to see if she was ok she told me that she called her son that was a lawyer and i was in soooo much trouble! The cop didnt think that was funny either.

14. Viz Top Tips had an idea for these-

set up a premium rate phone line, put the number on a "how's my driving?" sticker on your car/van/truck,

.....and then drive round town like a ****. :D

of course, dangerous driving is never cool.

15. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey thats a great idea!!!!!!!!!!! Put one on my wifes car and we will be rich! :hyper:

16. Call it the old GAS fund!

17. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Two reasons it doesn't really work.

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I havn't, but I should have just a few days ago.

I live in this little community called Pinewood, and they're (the city) currently doing some construction work.

Well I was behind this big dump truck full of whatever and at a stop light that turns onto a highway. We both put on our right turning signal (hereafter reffered to as a "blinker") and both turned right.

Well, when he turned right... he turned onto the shoulder while I turned into the correct lane. I figured the guy was being polite and intended to let me pass him.

I went to overtake the dumptruck, and while I was right beside him he decides to get off of the shoulder and onto the lane. (No, the shoulder wasn't ending.) Out of the corner of my eye I notice this dumptruck getting closer and closer to me, and I look over and he actually is. I go, "Oh ****!" and speed up while at the same time drifting half-way into the left lane.

I mean really. Driving is his job, and he doesn't even look over to see if he's about to smash the side of a Jeep, and he didn't use his blinker to signal he was getting back in the lane.

I survive though, and while I'm not really scared or anything I am definitely pissed. I didn't think to get back behind him to figure out what that number is though.

19. Funny, after reading this thread, I wanted to make a call myself. I was coming home on the freeway after work, and this d*****s was going 80mph in the slow lane. Nothing new, as most people drive like a******s on the 99, but this guy was driving an 18-wheeler, and was not content to stay in the slow lane. On a section of freeway that has an accident almost daily, this was bad news. I remembered this thread, and I slowed down, hoping to catch a number. No luck.

As a matter of fact, a pickup and an 18-wheeler were involved in an accident just this morning on my way to work. Hell in a handbasket I say.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I reported an obnoxious driver from a local auto parts supply warehouse. I see them all the time around town, and I always said the next time I catch one of those bozo's driving poorly, I am going to report it.

I called the number, and filed my report. The person who answered apologized, and thanked me for calling.

-Mike