Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How am I supposed to search for EQ settings if

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justBrian, Oct 2, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    So, how am I supposed to search for EQ settings when I can't use a 2 letter word (EQ) in the search function?

While I'm at it, fi any of you have settings you like for a 7 band eq, let me know. I recently acquired a Trace AH600 and have been using the factory preset (#1)-- really like it. Also tried the classic smiley and "w" shape on the eq. What do you like? I want a warm, punchy tone with out a lot of string noise. Thanks!

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    im glad you are liking it..i believe us eq* that makes it 3 letters and it will search for eq...

i didn't have it long enough to find "the" setting so i can't help ya..i think i found it tho with my sterling....ummm

thank agian

steve

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks man! Hey, I'm using it at an outdorr gig tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. It sounds awesome through both of my Avatars. WooHoo!

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    im glad...tell me how it goes...i never used it for a gig...but as soon as o got the swr pre i used that weekend..and all i got was compliments....and now there coming in more with my sterling

steve

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    A Sterling-- how cool it that! :D

6. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Hi,

I use an EQ very similar to the Trace Elliot.

In my 17 years experience with this equalizer there is no magic setting where I can set it and leave it lone. It changes with room, location, and my sound taste of the day.

I found the following "rules" for myself:

- Use the 40 Hz so the low B string is in line with the rest of the sound
    - 60 and 100 are for the punch
    - with the 180 I adjust warmth and clarity (more 180 - warmer, but also muddier. Less: clearer)
    - The 360 and 660 are mid response. More 660 is jazzier, less is Funky. 360 also adds warms or removes mudd.
    - 1.3 kHz adds or subtracts the metallic character
    - 2.4 kHz adjusts the lower funk-slap: High enough to cut, but not too high so it hets sharp
    - 5 kHz and 10 kHz add glassy heighs. May get a little sharp when too much, also may make the sould less warm

Also, take into account that sound drastically changes with volume: At a higher volume you hear bass and treble much better. So, if you set up a sound at low volumes, when you crank it you are likely to have too much bass and treble.

I think the Trace has a eq ON/OFF switch with adjustable volume (I don't). There you can play with the EQ and set the volume the same as off, switch on and off and see if the sound with EQ is better or just louder. There is nothing wrong with turning off the EQ if you like the sound of the pre-set by itself.

Cutting a lot of mids sounds pleasing ("w"), but you may find it difficult to hear yourself in the band. I use as much midrange as possible while still maintaining a sound that is pleasing.

Summary: Sorry, no simple rules how to set it up. You have to choose for yourself what you like.

Wolfram

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Wolfram-- I usually just run the EQ off and use the preshape. But I wanted to try somehting different. Thanks for the input.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very cool post, Wolfram.

Searching for others' EQ settings is not worthwhile IMO, because there are so many variables: the player, the room acoustics, and everything else in the signal chain. I'd suggest experimenting on your own with your own gear. Let your ears adjust to each new EQ setting for a minute or so before trying a new one. And as mentioned, what works well when you're playing solo might not work well in the mix, so keep that in mind.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Sage advice. Thanks bro.