Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOW AND WHY???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Aug 18, 2002.

1. :eek: How in the world is this bass worth over $50,000 (the reserver is over $50k) and why? I understand it is a vintage studio gibson, but geez!:confused:

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Because people are dumb

3. Beats me. Those recording/studio basses are cool though. Maybe it's a REALLY BAD typo. I guess it's old, rare, mint (condtion), and one of the first of its kind (oh yeah, forgot heavy:eek: ).

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've heard of 50's Explorers going for around $100,000. I guess some people are obsessed enough to spend inane amounts of money on vintage gear.

Sad thing is, the instruments that go for those crazy prices will probably never be played again and hang on some rich guys wall behind glass.

5. Man, if I had that kind of bank to buy a bass like that, I would probably be buying a Lamborghini. Not that I wouldn't like that bass, but $50k on a bass, thats insane. I don't know why I get a weird feeling about that auction though, because if it were such a pristine bass, why in the world would any one in their right mind sell it on an online auction??? There are much more better ways than that for something of that magnitude. Or maybe I am just too paranoid like that? :p

6. I agree. I doubt that the people who buy those have hardly actually played a bass and know what they are really all about, not their list price. But what do I know being only 15?

7. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i would keep an eye on the BID COUNT

.....at the time of this reply it was only 0
    gee what a suprise? ;-)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not even sure that bass is worth $5,000, so I think we can rule out a typo.

'Gee, I have zero feedback, I know, I'll go on Ebay and auction off something for $50,000!':rolleyes:

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This has got to be a spoof. This guy is nuckin' futs!

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, smells a tad fishy. Atleast he has Escrow as a payment option and not just a money order or check, then THAT would make me feel really queezy.