1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How any of us are still alive is beyond me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 2behead, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I feel like 5 minutes with out whining, fighting, complaining, a "can I", spilling something, arguing, pinching, screaming, "I'm hungry", "I don't want to eat that", "I wanted to do it", "It's not fair", or just generally feeling like a Slave/referee/janitor should not be to much to ask. But hey, I guess it is. I had to intervene twice since I started to wright this. How any of us are still alive is beyond me ............... Love my kids :)

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Probably for the sole reason that infanticide is illegal.

Me, I was really good at hiding after I pissed my parents off...

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    fatherhood = refereehood

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Being a grandparent is great. Two or three days of having fun and then send them home. You want pancackes at 1a.m.? No problem. Of course we then get the phone call "Why does my son want me to cook him pancackes at 1am? :D

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    grandparents are the bane of my existence!! Every darn time I get my youngest son unspoiled, one trip to abuelo and abuela's house sets him right back to square one.. :help:

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I do the same for my nieces. I love 'em to pieces. But then give them back to my sister when they get on my nerves.

7. slobake

Yup! None of us knew that our parents could back to us when we where torturing them a teenagers. The whole pancake thing is generational and my son knows it. His abuela did it for him. We haven't really done it yet but we keep threatening. I keep telling myself, it's not nice to be vindictive.

8. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

+1 to this. I'm not a granddad, I'm an uncle, but it falls along the same lines.

9. slobake

My grandson is 5-years-old and he wants a set of drums for Christmas. Should I? Bwa-ha-ha.

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    YES!

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    LOL!

Yeah my son asked me the other day if I could hold a banana for him while he played PS3 so he could eat while he's trying to beat his high score... this after a weekend at grandma's.
    flash forward 10 minutes and he's outside sweeping the back porch talking about how he wants to go back to grandmas!! mwaahahah

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I mean, you can get a decent enough starter kit for around $300 :bag::D

13. Haha! Awesome.

14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I guess y'all grew up in a very different era than I did. Parents didn't play that, and grandparents were even less likely to play that! We KNEW when we got to the point when Mom and Dad weren't havin' it, and we policed ourselves after that. When we DID take it too far, we paid the price and learned a lesson.

15. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Drums or "Happy noise" as I call it is so fine with me. I bought my son a drum kit when he was 7. He is 9 and still plays it all the time. My wife and I like that sort of stuff in the house. Not to say sometimes it can be a bit much. I think the whole time he has had them we have asked him to stop playing 2 or 3 times. It's the pissy attitudes and bickering that kill me. My god the other day I honestly went to the bathroom and turned on the fan just for some peace and quiet for a few minutes. I looked at the toilet. My 4 year old decided to wipe their butt with the toilet seat because there was no toilet paper left on the roll.

16. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. Flame away, but we have a very well-behaved 8-year-old because we took this approach from the start. It's probably a little late for you. Maybe you could get Madea to babysit once in a while.

"You gonna have a back goin' straight down to your legs 'cause I'm gonna whoop that ass clean off!"

17. slobake

QUOTE=FilterFunk;13008967]I guess y'all grew up in a very different era than I did. Parents didn't play that, and grandparents were even less likely to play that! We KNEW when we got to the point when Mom and Dad weren't havin' it, and we policed ourselves after that. When we DID take it too far, we paid the price and learned a lesson.[/QUOTE]

Don't take us too seriously we are just having fun, my grandson knows if he steps out of line he'll get the tire iron. :rollno: I'm guessing you don't have kids.

18. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

Why not? When my oldest nephew turned 4 (he's 6 now) I got him a drumset for his birthday. AFAIK its only been used as a trampoline.

19. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Sounds like you got a little too worked up about my post. I'm just pointing out the fact that things have changed overall. I'm sure there's a certain amount of "having fun" in this thread, but I'm just as sure that there's plenty of truth in there as well.

And for the record: I don't have kids of my own, but I've been helping raise my niece and nephew for many years on account of their irresponsible parents, so I have a pretty good perspective on it from different angles.

20. slobake

My apologies Filter if I came off as worked up. I meant no disrespect to you.