1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are carvin amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, May 7, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You can do SO much better for the money. Look at Yorkvilles instead. Much better reputation, better reliability, and kickass warranty. Louder, too.

3. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i dont want to spend more that like 450 dollars on an amp, so would those meet my price range?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Carvin amps are pretty good.

5. I have a B1500, and it is fantastic. The BRX series is reportedly much better than the series you linked to. For the price range your looking at, you might go with something else. If you're willing to spend a little more, look at the BRX.

Here's a link to their ebay store where they sell scratch and dent stuff, you might find a deal....

http://stores.ebay.com/CARVIN-USA

6. +1
    the brx 1500 is absolutely sick. like ameobic dysentery sick. smell what i'm steppin in?

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO, there is nothing to fault that amp for. In general, I have found Carvin amps to be fantastic. For the money, I don't think you will find anything better. They get a bad reputation on TB. Some people have had reliability issues with them and others just don't like the tones they provide. However, if you happen to be one of us who like their amps, you will likely REALLY like them. I've used Carvin amps exclusively for the past five years, and haven't had a lick of trouble. They provide VERY flexible tone shaping options and are well built here in the United States. If you buy one, let us know how you like it. Good luck.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The electronics in Carvins are pretty good; the speaker part is not so good. This amp would be decent if you are looking for a practice amp; if you are looking for something to gig with and your band has loud guitarists I would save up and get something bigger.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    They use Eminence drivers. Last I heard, they were good enough for just about everyone.

10. Thakid2u

Thakid2u

May 1, 2006
    Never had any problems with them. We use there speakers in all our custom stuff and have never had to replace one yet. Most people see the price (cheap) as a reflection of the quality, this isnt the case. You are buying direct from Carvin, no middle man to take 110%. I say play a few different amps or combos, and buy what you like.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah, if you're looking for something to practice with and maybe play in a small group with a quiet drummer, that amp should be fine. If you're looking for a stage rig for big clubs in a metal band, something bigger is a must. Even so, Carvin's bigger rigs, such as the BRX series as mentioned above, would be totally worth saving for, IMO.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Everyone (who uses Eminence) has different custom versions of Eminence drivers. The speakers in an Ampeg would be of different design than the ones in a Carvin or SWR. Just because the speakers are manufactured by the same company doesn't make the design of the cab any better or worse.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I just bought one of those for my daughter. She needed a practice amp and something to do small jams with. We looked at a lot of different amps and settled on one of these.

They are good amps and actually offer a lot for the money. One thing that sold her was that it isn't very heavy and it's not a tilt back so it doesn't take up a lot of space in her room.

Durable construction and decent tone shaping tools along with an on-board noise gate and compressor.

I have had good luck with Carvin power amps in our rack and our stage monitors are 7 year old Carvins. They have been trouble free.

You could do a lot worse for $349.00.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've had a lot of experience with Carvin's. Personally, I think they're a great company with great products. I own two Carvin bass guitars, a four and five strings and I love them. My practice amp is a 350W Carvin 1x15 combo and I love this amps sound. I've also have a Carvin R600 (which I'm selling BTW;) ) which is similar to what your looking at here, but with a lot more watts. Somebody said it earlier, that people bad-mouth Carvins, but IMO each piece of equipment I've had personal experience with has been top-notch and reliable with GREAT customer service. I live in California, so their shops are right around the corner for me. I still play through a Carvin 4x10 600W RedEye cabinet, and I love it's sound. Our PA Speakers and Monitor speakers for our live set up are also Carvin's. This amp you're eyeing would be a great amp for a bedroom type of practice scenario. You might find it under gunned in a live setting with a live drummer. For about 100 bucks more, you could get a used cabinet and a R600 head, which has a lot of tone shaping features and a really clean sound. I used one of these for about 6 years and really dug it.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Something I've noticed on the older carvin combos
    The amps are bridge to get the most power out of the internal speaker.

Plugging in external speakers can get complicated, and may get less power out of the amps.

Just as a combo, with no extension - they are great amps.

16. Lets just say that my R1000 has died again, for the 3rd time. Thankfully it did it the same weeek I wuit my band so now it sits dead till I decide to drive over to their shop and drop it off for the 3rd time!

I will not buy any more carvin gear.

17. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I had a PB100-15, and practiced thru another. Both were just barely adequate for practice--dimed out, and a poor choice for even the smallest gig. I'm sure the 200 has a little more oomph, but I'd upgrade to one of their newer designs, or go somewhere else. I sold mine and went to an Ampeg B100R--a way better amp (granted, for a lot more money, but the tone was worth it). Perfect for practice and small club gigs.

Billy-Bob

18. i was going to get that one, but i am building my own now :D

great practice/small venue amp.

19. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    As a new RL610 system owner (the R600 with 2x10 & 1x15 boxes) I cannot be happier.

Loud is not a probelm at all; plenty of headroom. And dialing in just about any sound is incredibly do-able.

It does take a bit of messing with all the knobs (a great big bunch of knobs) and eq sliders, but if you stick with the "less is more" school of thought (small adjustments), you'll get the tone you want, if it's get-able at all.

Just one 4 banger's opinion. :bag: