Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how are epiphone t-birds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, Dec 20, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i've heard mixed opinions on epi birds from my low end compatriots. so i just wanted to hear some opinions from you all as well.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    An acquaintance of mine owns one. I have played it. I am not impressed.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I, too, have played one, and was also not impressed. First off, I thought it was a rather uncomfortable bass to play sitting down. Also, the stock pickups weren't very powerful, and the tone was a bit sterile. If you replaced the pickups, though, it might be a pretty good bass.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Really not my thing...I find the shape uncomfortable...the sound lacking and muddy...it's maybe best for pick playing, as it didn't sit right for slap and tap and whatnot (at least for me). I like to wear my basses high, and with the T-Birds I've played, that just ain't happening.

5. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    pretty much sucks

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive always wanted one but i heard that the epiphone build qualities wernt great. Im looking into getting a Tokai(japanese) one

7. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Take it from someone who owns one, my Epi t-bird is amazing compared to my MIM p-bass. Each note is clear and punchy and unlike what many say, it is a very versatile bass. I dont know why people think you can get more sounds out of a p-bass, they dont know what there talking about.
    Its made a lot better than the Fender, no sharp frets sticking out or cheap wood.
    If you have any questions just ask.

p.s. the neck dive shouldnt even be an issue since its so easy to fix.

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    +1

I have one as well. The pickups in mine have more out put then my P-Bass, but I still like my P-Bass more.
    When I'm in the mood for somthing diffrent I pull it out a play away. I have to say I also really like the neck on mine it's nice and fat, and the fret job is great.

But you wont know unless you try it.

9. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I dunno about the last two guys. I bought one brand new. I was stoked when i got it. Its really does physically play great. It have a great feel to it. The only problem i had was that the neck would fall to the floor everytime i let go of it. You really need to get the neck strap re-located.
    As far as the sound i thought it was really limited considering its to humbuckers. Sounded so small and week to be. No punch to it in my opinion. Extremely dark sounding bass. I like a little more warmth to my tone thats why i play fenders. And the bridge sucks on pretty much every epi bass. I dont know whats worse the bridge on an epi or on a fender they both need to be thrown out in my opinion.

10. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    This whole entire statement kills me.

1. Do you believe this uncomfortablness is something inherent in only the Epiphone models or do Gibson models feel the same way?

2. Has you friend set up the bass? I have examined the pickups and set them up and if anything they are too hot.

jeez

11. How about the Tokai ones? Thru necks must give it more sustain? Good price too.

12. akward to play but if I played with a pick, it would be my bass of choice

but I don't

13. I have a Gibson and have played the Epiphone.

If you dont like the sound of the Epi, get a Bart Pre Amp or get the Bart replacement pickups. There was a large batch of bad Epi's a few years back but they have since improved. They are great basses and definitely NOT muddy. If you cant dial in a punchy tone with the bird you've got to be an idiot because the first step is rolling off the neck pup volume. Keeping the bridge at max and tone at max. A good amp also helps, I have an Ashdown Mag 300 and my Gibson is awesome through it.