Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How are Halfwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Mar 6, 2003.

1. I was thinking of putting these D'Addario halfwounds on my fretless,and I was wondering, before spending money,what do you guys think of halfwounds?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've got some on my fretless.

They're pretty sweet - they've got the edge of roundwound strings, but not the 'zingy' quality (which I don't like so much) - and they're pretty smooth under the fingers too.

They sing quite nicely - they're not dead like flats.

I'd recommend them.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tried out a set last Saturday on a friend's bass. I think they were Status half-wounds, although I'm not 100% sure. They certainly felt very smooth but sounded more zingy than flats - the only downside is that they were also a little bit stiffer, although not as much so as flatwounds often are.

I think it would be worth giving the D'Addario's a try.

Wulf

4. thanks guys, the reason I wanted to know is because I have this bass I defretted, and I'm noticing slight wear on that really soft rosewood fretboard.

You know, catch it while there's time.
    Anyways, I like the sound that flats have....but you can't do that much with them, plus the harmonics aren't as good....

I'll tell you what I think when I get them...hopefully today.