How are Ken Smiths' Rock masters?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hey Y'all,
    How are K.Smith Rock master strings? A good all around string? Good for Funk,Blues , Jazz, Rock?

Bobbo 77'
  2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Good sound for Rock. I have em on my Carvin LB75P. Low B still kinda dead, but that could be the bass.:eyebrow:
  3. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I don't know about Rock Masters but I just tossed a new set of Bass Burners into the trash.
  4. I started off on those strings, and while they sound good new, I've found that they went dead REALLY fast. Had that problem with every set I've bought (10 to 15 sets all in all). I switched to DR and am lovin' it.
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I just put a set on my Sadowsky RV5 (44-63-80-102-128).

They feel smoother than ProSteels. I noticed some fret wear that I think was coming pretty quick with the Prosteels. The tension is medium. Not as much as Sadowskys.

They have more midrange than ProSteels which is what I was looking for. Highes are bright but not harsh. They are not the distorted type of highes I associate with Rotos.

I dig the purple wraps on my sunburst RV5. Not sure on the last.

6. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    What kind of DRs get you closest to the Rock Masters?

7. I've been using HiBeams now for a couple years and they're my favorite string. They're a good bit brighter sounding, but smoother feeling than the Ken Smiths. I'd say that the DR Lowriders would get you closer to the Rock Master sound, but they're REALLY smooth to play on. Very comfortable on the hands, whereas the Rockmasters felt really rough to me which slowed down my technique and tore up my hands more. Low Riders would be great for fretless too, becuase they have the midrange of roundwounds, but are a compression wound so they have a slight flatwound feel to them. They've got that beefy deep low sound, with strong midrange, much like the Smiths. They also stay fresh for longer, at least with my experience they have.
  8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Depends on the bass. I loved them on an Ibanez 1205 with EMG pre and p-ups. I tried a bunch, but none sounded better than the Rock Masters. They sounded nice on a Pedulla Thunderbolt also, but not to the degree of the Ibanez. I have tried them on a Modulus, Peavey, Spector etc with less than impressive results.
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I've tried the Rockmasters,but I preferred the Burners Nickels personaly
  10. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I switched to Rock Master Mediums a few years ago from Roto 66's. On my L2k, they just kill. A little bright for the Rick, though.
  11. Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    I use Rock Masters I think they are bouncy but fine I change my strings every 4 to 6 weeks anyway, they are soft on teh fingers compared to what I have played they are ok if you like DR but can't afford DR then go with Ken Smiths,