Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How are MIM Fender B strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 19, 2003.

1. What do you guys think of MIM Fender B strings in General? good, bad..worthwhile, worthless?

2. I have not been impressed with any of the ones I have played.

3. i just bought one a few weeks ago and i think its gonna go back cause i'm used to 35" and its not exactly what i wanted :(
    -Ryan :bassist:

4. Yeah, me either. Really none of the 5 string Fenders impress me. The B string has lacked on almost every bass I played. The basses are ussually fairly good until I hit that B...

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    They're not terrible, but the MTD Kingston I used to have had a better low B. I use it sparingly, anyway.

6. get the MIM 5 and string it with a high C

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, the b's on fenders are generally floppy and a bit like a weaker fart sound.

8. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I'll second that :spit:

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, not to go against the general flow of opinion, but i've played a few mim fender j 5's that were prett good, definitely worth more than they were being sold for. i think with mim's it comes down to making sure you try it out before you buy it. i've seen some oysters before too.

10. I played a beautiful Deluxe MIM Jazz at a local store that had a great B. I may still even buy it as a backup bass when I work up the capital. For $800 CAD it was a little pricey, but it's so rare you find a good 5 string Fender, at least for me!

11. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've been playing a MIM Jazz V deluxe for several months now and I've been very happy with the B. It definitely sounds best when I favor the bridge pu a little. I also run through a SansAmp DI which also seems to help.

I've played the RB5 several times at a local shop and really like the B on that bass. So much so that I've ordered myself one in Shoreline Gold. The darn thing is back ordered till November but I'm stoked about getting this bass.

I think Fender 5's get an all around bad rap. I don't really understand why. Some of us can't afford a $3000 boutique bass and I've never heard anyone in the audience complain that "your B string sure sounded weak".

YMMV

--scott

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Also, the use of a tapered-B [at the bridge] can help matters if you're really sensitive about the matter.

13. I personally think you can find better B's for what you're paying for when you get a foreign made five string under like 700 bucks...now that I think about that, (I'm gonna post another thread about B strings) :D

I'll admit the sound of the bridge pup for the B string sounds nice, but it lacks a solid/tight feel to it.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I had a MIM J Deluxe 5 for a while, I found the B a bit iffy, but I could work with it, a tapered B did help with the tone. However, no matter how much I worked with it, I could never get the damn thing intonated correctly (the WHOLE BASS, not just the B string :meh: ). Finally gave up on it as a failed experiment. I've always been a "J-Bass kinda guy", and really wanted to like the thing, but it just didn't fly, for me.

Now that I've got my Lakland, I've got my 5 string J bass jones satisfied completely....and my 5 string P bass jones....and my Stingray 5 jones...

:D

15. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    I picked up a mim jazz V standard a few weeks back it came with tapered B and E strings and the B sounded much nicer to me then the ones i've played without tapered strings. It's not perfect but for someone like me that wanted the jazz sound and uses the B mainly as a thumb rest and only occasionally as a string it's quite nice. The other 5 string basses in the under 500 category certainly didn't sound any better to me on the b string. I like another poster recommended will likely switch the config to a high C but more because I think I would use it more then the low B not because of the quality of the B.

16. hey but john, i thought you havent played anything less than a 7 string in (checks watch) 9 years !! whats the deal??, was this before (checks watch again)1994???