Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how are pickups wired?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Aug 16, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    are humbuckers put in parallel or series and along with single coil pickups. I have had an idea and if you can help me it may be able to lift of the ground

thanks

dave

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Normally the coils of a humbucker are internally wired in series, but two or more pickups (whether HB, SC or one of each) are normally wired in parallel.

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    my idea was you have about 3 single coil's like of a strat, with one upside down and have two of them wired like a humbucker. And you then have another switch to change the wiring for it to bypass the third pickup and to put the other two into humbubker mode. Then move the switch back and it will then un-bypass the third pickup and de active the humbucker mode thus having 3 singles again. I thought that would be a good idea, do you think so? Or is this a load of shambles. It may not make any sense because i am 14 and don't know all that much about electronics (although i am making a fuzz/phase/octave pedal at the mo) and pickups. You see you could have a blend of the sound like bridge, and end of the neck. That is the problem with hummys they are both in the same posistion and don't look all that good. also if you start playing on a guitar with singles and it isn't humming people will be amazed. knowing my luck this has already been made, has it?

4. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but don't confuse series vs. parallel with HB vs. SC.

HB coils are traditionally series wired, but you could change the wiring of, say, a Les Paul HB to parallel and it would still be humbucking. Why isn't this normally done? Because it doesn't sound like a Les Paul when it's wired in parallel. Modern Strats have the middle pickup Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity so in switch positions 2 and 4, it acts as a HB. But it's a parallel-wired HB because if you connected it so the coils were in series, it wouldn't sound like a Strat always does in those two positions.

You probably know that modern Jazz Basses ('95 and later) have the neck pickup RW/RP to the bridge pickup. So they are HB when both are on AND at the same volume. That's another problem you have to consider. If there were only one volume control and a pickup selector switch on a modern J, it would always be HB when both pickups are on. So when you're thinking about what you want to accomplish with your wiring scheme, remember that any two coils connected in HB mode ought to be controlled by one volume control. In case you don't already know this, both coils to be connected as a HB have to be the same type wound to the same output or resistance, so the noise component cancels out.

Again, the traditional J sound with two pickups on is a parallel connection. I know people who have connected them in series, or put a series/parallel selector switch. But if you connect two J coils as a series HB, it will sound different.

Back to your plan, if you have three single coils, identical except one wound RW/RP to the others, then you can use one or more switches to connect them in lots of ways. You could have two different HB positions and each could be series, parallel or either.

Hope this helps.

5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    thanks in a way. Because that has already been done so i must be sad trying to re invent the weel:( but the strat thing was what i was on about. The whole singles as hummys. Oh well. Thanks anyway