1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are some of the cheaper Yamahas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PostFusion, Aug 17, 2012.

1. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    I stumbled upon some of these on guitar center's site for $200, and they look like they have the components I like, large scale and every thing.
    But I'd hate to end up with a starter's instrument.
    I gave up the search for the semi-acoustic/hollow-bodies, seeing as how they're pretty much just for looks.
    I'm just looking for a nice, nonexpensive jazz bass for now.

Sorry for pestering you with all these questions, as I'd love to contribute to the actual conversations, but I'm not entirely knowledgable on everything bass related to actually bring up interesting topics.

2. I had a Yamaha bb605 that was a great bass. Usually can find one for $300 to $350.

Get a Squire Classic Vibe Jazz bass or Vintage Modified. Used around $225 to $300. New $365.

As far as a starter bass I wouldnt consider the Squier or a the Yamaha bb605 starter basses. Both can sound really good and play nice.

3. yep, yamaha makes some great cheap basses, especially if you don't mind a used one...i got a BB 404 (their take on a jazz bass) for $97 and it remains one of my favorite basses...

and like the man said, you might also consider a squier (especially if you really want a fendery jazz bass sound, as the yamahas are generally a bit darker sounding)...another good option would be a peavey foundation, which can get pretty close to jazz territory (and some might say better) and is a really superb instrument

tl:dr - yamaha, peavey, squier and ibanez = bestest cheapest bassestesstest

4. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks for the feed back, everyone.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What exactly are "these"? I don't own any Yamahas so I can't comment on specific models, but on a number of occasions I have played cheap ones in music stores (GC, Sam Ash) and VERY NEARLY bought one because they are so great! (I need another bass like a hole in the head) Like you say the have a certain large scale feel you have to like, but clearly are not some junk entry level thing.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think that Yamaha and Ibanez are some of the best (if not "THE" best) options in the "budget" category. My only complaint about a cheap Yamaha bass is that the B string on the RBX 375 is the flabbiest I've found (and I've played several of those).

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Started on a Yamaha RBX but I wouldn't say it's a beginner instrument. Fantastic quality and sound for the money.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I've flipped a couple RBXs, pretty solid little starter basses... I would most definitely consider them a starter bass, right up to the 374. They are solid basses for the money, as somebody else stated I would imagine their low B to be pathetic at best on a 5 string but I would expect them from any pretty much every sub $1000 bass. The pickups are alright, good enough for a home practice or garage band, but I wouldn't want to record with them.

Considering you can find them used for $100-$200 all day long, they are a pretty solid deal.

9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I bought a bottom-of-the-line Yamaha RBX. It was nice compared to other bass guitars in the same price range.

10. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Cons - not much resale value (if you buy new you'll certainly take a beating when you sell)

Pros - Very serviceable bass for the $$. Not much resale value (so you can pick a used one up cheap!)

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love budget Yamahas. I would agree that BB605s are great basses. They are inexpensive basses, not beginner basses. There is a YouTube clip of Larry Kimpel sounding awesome playing a BB605. I feel the P/J BB series are a great value too. Either the old BB415/615 or BB425/425x are great.

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I had both a bb414 and bb415. They were great basses. Well made and good sounding. I only parted with them because they are modern sounding I like a more vintage P-J tone.

A statement you made is a little puzzling to me:

>>I gave up the search for the semi-acoustic/hollow-bodies, seeing as how they're pretty much just for looks.

While they are much different looking, they are in another world tone wise as well.

You mentioned you are building your experience, try both and you will see a *big* difference.

13. I would definitely go for it, I played a BB605 that rivaled basses way more expensive basses.