Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how are Steinbergers\Steinberger Spirit basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 20, 2003.

1. I've only gotten to play the Spirit XT-2 in fretted and fretless forms, and from listening to a lot of rush and also my teacher, I'm kinda wondering what you guys think of 'em....I love the tone, but haven't gotten to play any..:(

pics would be really nice, too!

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I own a Spirit doubleneck that has bass on top and guitar on bottom. I like it! It has a very focused sound which is going to cut through most anything(due to the tension from the bottom tuner),which might not be appropriate for certain things. The advantage the true Steins have is that they are made from graphite, which doesn't cause any play due to humidity. The Spirits have maple bodies/necks which are susceptible to such atmospheric changes. I've played both and the tone differences are minute.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I own a Hohner one, and is is aweosme. Tone is nice anf rich and it plays easily. De tunable bridge is helpfu.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have an original XL2. It's solid as a rock and never goes out of tune. Ever. It gets the Geddy tone easily, but also has a more mellow tone if you solo the neck pup, and you can blend the two for some nice variations. Not everyone likes the appearance, but I do!

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I bought a Spirit 5 string to use as a "travel bass" for awhile, and it sounded amazingly good. The big problem it had, however, was a balance issue, it would lean angled downward in a bad way, so that you couldn't see the fretboard at all.

Its my understanding that the original 'bergers had a 'horn' that the strap peg mounted to which alleviated this problem. The spirits do not come with the horn, and the strap pegs are mounted right into the little rectangular body.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea thats why i bought the Hohner. It has all the same features as the Steinbergers, plus a de tunable bridge which only one model Steinberger has, but this one has perfect balance. I guess Steinberger never perfected it.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I bought a Spirit bass a few years back... I liked it mainly because it was a decent bass for the price... but It just sounded flat and unresponsive IMO... I mean for the price they are decent... but my little spirit bass is just sitting in its case now... no play time for it

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got 2 spirits and I think they sound "OK."
    I don't like the way they hang though, not comfortable to me at all. I bought them used, so I think they were worth the price.

I lent one to my mom to learn on while she travels, they are pretty good for that.

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, kinda like that.......it was a piece shaped somewhat like a boomerang. The strap was connected at each end, and there was a fairly large brass screw with a bushing at the point of the"V". The bass had a threaded hole in the back at the exact balance point of the bass, so they were perfectly balanced. Actually took a little getting used to - you could change the angle you were holding the bass while you were playing, and the neck would just kinda float in your hand where ever you went with it with no effort at all. A very strange feeling at first.

Probably the reason the wood "Spirit" models and the original graphite models sound somewhat similar is their "headlessness" - not having the mass hanging off the end of the neck makes a pretty big difference in how a bass sounds.

10. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Also, if you go with the xz series (full body) you don't have the lean problems. Also they seem to sustain a bit better having a full body.
    I had the five string fretless for awhile, and it was awesome. The only problem was the selects were really low output.

Once again though, with a full bodied axe you could throw some emg actives in there.

11. Me too. It's heavy as hell, though, but for the 3-piece I play in, it's indispensable. the guitarist in that band doesn't want to play much lead, and I have to cover lead parts in the middle of some of the tunes.

I also have the 4-string fretted XT-2 bass, and the GT-Pro Deluxe guitar, too. I have not had the balance problems others seem to be plagued with on either one. I like the tone of the passive EMG selects on the bass, and the guitar is passable. But all three of them -- especially the doubleneck -- get more positive on-stage comments from non-musicians than ANY instruments I've ever played. They also excel on very small stages. Easy to avoid collisions!

12. any of you have soundclips? I personally think I wanna get a steinberger that has a closer to traditional body..I keep forgetting the names...how much do the real deal steinies go for?

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    300-400 ish usually.

14. thanks man, but....
    I'm looking for the real deal steinbergers, not the spirits or the hohners...even though they are nice and all, I've seen one real deal steinie and heard 2 others (including Geddy's) and I'm loving the tone.

just wondering how much the real deal ones go for...and even where to find them online!

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a '88 XM-2 with a Trans-Trem. There's a picture around here somewhere... let's see...

[​IMG]

BAM!!

Since this picture I have installed a three way pup selector switch and an Aguilar OBP-1. I like it, but it's not for everybody. It balances perfectly, and sounds great. The graphite neck is solid, but since it doesn't have a truss rod, I had to go to work on my frets to get it to play the way I wanted. I will probably replace it with a Moses neck later.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    At the RI g2g I was plying Bfunk's fretless XL-2, and now I have horrible GAS for one. Get an original one if you can. The tone was bloody awesome for such a little beast. Very modernish fretless tone. The strap pivot thing was very cool too, I could rotate it around and play lefty if I wanted....perfect balance and all. I just need a bunch of money, and I shall have one.

here's a pic of me jammin out on it.

[​IMG]

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm one of TB's loudest proponents of the Steinberger System. I currently own an original XM2A and a Spirit XZ2; in the past, I also had a pair of Spirit XT2s. I prefer the models with a bolt-on neck and a wood body.

The originals are amazing! I also feel the Spirits are a tremendous value, and are the equal to a MIM Fender in quality. The Spirit models with a body balance very well.

Pricing on vintage Steinies varies a bit - XM series basses seem to go for less than XQ versions, ranging from $400~$450 for a beater XM up to $800+ for a clean XQ. XLs (the all-composite ones) seem to go for even more, but I don't pay much attention to them.

You may want to hold off for a few months - Gibson is in the process of putting new USA made XQs back into production. Keep an eye on MusicYo for details - the guitars are already there.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I scored my XM2TT for a paltry $950. Sometimes you can get good deals like that. Keep an eye on ebay.

19. thanks man I was really wondering when they'd be on Music Yo...I intend to get a full bodied steinberger, I think they look cool and sound awesome.

btw basstriaxis...your Steinie looks so damned nice!! how's that whammy bar sound?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    spirits are still "real" steinbergers,....

but if you mean the ones from the 80's, they are like 800 on ebay.