Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Are SWR Goliath II and III Cabs Different?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Just curious. A guy's trying to sell me a II at what may be a decent price, though I think it's the wrong impedance (8 Ohms) for what I want, I might pick it up to use for swapping stock to get what I actually want, a 4-Ohm G-III.

Aside from being uglier and having a lower market price used, what's the difference between the II and the III?

As always, thanks for any accurate info.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    as I recall the II was rear ported and had more bottom end than the front ported III's... as always I could be wrong and I'm not a fan of SWR gear so my knowledge here is fuzzy.

3. orlando123

orlando123

May 26, 2009
    Ralphdaddy is right about the two cabs. I also have a question too. I'm interested in these cabs also and can you match to two together with good results because I may be purchasing a Goliath III and possibly a II if the one I'm looking at sticks around if you know what I mean. I hear that the Goliath II's are pretty front heavy and can tip over depending on what is stacked on top of it.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I just replaced my 8 ohm 1991 G ll (made by Eden, btw) with a 4 ohm Epifani t-410UL S1. I sold the G ll for $220, which is what I paid for it about 7 years ago. I loved the tone of that cabinet, and it was nearly as loud as the Epi. Don't pay too much attention to the power ratings--use your ears.

No matter what, if you want to pair this cab with another, get a hefty power amp with 2 channels. You will be able to get the most out of both cabs by balancing the attenuation. I suggest a Crest CA6 or even a CA9.

I paired my G ll successfully with 3 very different cabinets: an 8 ohm SWR Goliath Jr. lll 2x10, an 8 ohm SWR Son of Bertha 1x15, and an 8 ohm Epifani NYC t-210.

If I had to pick the best sounding single cab from all the above, it would be a tie between the G ll and the Epi NYC t-210. BTW, keep in mind the G ll weighs 91 lbs. I've never had it tip over.

BTW, I like the G lll, and think it is a bit louder (potentially) than the G ll. However, I've only used one in the showroom (Gelb music).

5. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    What are the IIIs going for these days (the 4X10, not the Jr.)? It's been a while since I was in the market...