How are SX stock pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    I know I could comb through 300 pages of the SX Megathread for this, but I'm lazy. What do you guys think of the stock Jazz pickups on the SX basses? Is it necessary to upgrade them for good tone?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    They are poopie/doodoo/caca.
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yea they aren't the best, but they are usable.
  4. I have 2 SX jazz basses and I think the stock pickups sound pretty good. In one SX I owned I had some Fender CS60s in it which sounded amazing, but even after hearing those and now hearing the stock ones I have, the stock still sound pretty damn good.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

In my experience they're "not bad." (Not bad at all!)

They're not Fralins or Nordies but they are infinitely useable. When I bought my SX I expected to have to immediately replace the pups. When I got the bass, I was pleasantly surprised!

My advice to anyone who buys an SX is to wait until you receive the bass then let your ears be the judge. More than one person on this board has swapped out SX pups only to put the originals back into the bass.
  6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    The stock P-Bass pups are good, the J-Bass pups are too zingy and lack boom.
  7. The ones in the 5 string jazzes sound fine,thats the main thing I like about mine.I had some trouble with feedback when I got too close to my amp but I potted the pickups and that problem went away.I've got Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in my Guild Pilot and the stock SX pickups compare pretty well with them.Haven't tried the 4 string pickups from SX but the fives are pretty good.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The P bass i used to have sounded fine.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I bought my SX Jazz with the intention of replacing the pickups with some SD Basslines Lightning Rod pickups I have just gathering dust. I haven't because the stock ones sound pretty good.
  10. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got Jazz pups on mine, and they soun pretty solid, but they are really hot...
  11. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My own experience was:

They don't require an Immediate swap. They're decent.
    But, no doubt, you'll get more out of the bass with a swap.