1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are the 1999-2000 Fender Jazz basses regarded? Good years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robay8, Nov 2, 2013.

1. robay8

robay8

Apr 12, 2008
    I know everyone has their own opinion but how in general are the years of 1999 to 2000 for fender american jazz basses regarded? Are they worth the purchase?. I am looking to purchase a used one.
    I owned a 2005 jazz before and wasnt a huge fan because of the S-1.

Anyone own a 1999 or 2000? I love the sound of the new 2012-2013 jazzes but the prices are still going pretty high for even a used now.
    Thanks

2. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Eh. The fretwork and radius wasn't condusive to really low action, and they could weigh quite a bit. Quality control was hit or miss too. There are gems in the bunch though.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My biggest problem with Fenders of that period is the incredibly awful neck finish that cracks, lifts and checks and blows out at the fret ends at the slightest provocation.

This one [linked] had started while it was still in stock at GC. Every Fender I owned from '99-'03 (and I owned five or six at least) developed this to some extent, without exception. Fender wouldn't warrant it and I quit buying MIA Fenders for many years because of it.

There was a lot of discussion about it at the time. FMIC totally stonewalled it.

4. robay8

robay8

Apr 12, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems like its hit or miss. Not worth taking the risk through an online buy.

5. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    ridiculous question,no hard feelings. but good decision not buying anything before try. that being said,jazz bass I tried other day,year 2000, were great!

6. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I recently traded a 2000 USA Jazz off only because i also own a Relic Jazz wanted a P Bass too.My 2000 was black, maple neck, tortois shell pick guard i owned about 2 years played every weekend IMO 2000 was a great year this bass had great fit n finish awesome growly tones 10 out of 10 Bass.I paid $900 used in Ontario swapped it for a MM Stingray that was a mistake but thats another story a fine bass im opinion.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Play before you buy. Honestly I see 2008-2012 USA used jazzes for 650-900 all day long so I dont see why you cant buy a more recent model. If you want a cheap MIA look for a highway one/American Special used they are also great basses.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I must be missing something .. I have not seen a current edition 'New American Standard' Jazz in the $650 range ... I will see Am Series Jazzes getting that low, or even an early edition American Standard, but not the current crop, and certainly not with shipping ...

I see Hwy Ones and AmSpecs in that range regularly ... interestingly enough, an early edition Hwy 1 just sold on Ebay for almost $650 with shipping ..

That 99-2000 range would be the tail end of the early Am Standards ... I have seen real good and good ... I liked '01-early '03 a bit better based on the few I have had from each era ... that was American Series, but pre S-1 ... they re-introduced that nat finish/maple in that time frame as well, and the one I had was very nice ... you really need to take it on a case by case basis, but with that said, if you are tenacious, and buy used at a solid USED market price, its tough to lose much, if at all, and you get the experience and education of having many in your hands .. buy right, try several ... JMHO

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Craigslist, GC used and local shops.

I've seen 2008 USA jazzes go for 650 in local CL, I've seen GC used ones average at around 650-850. There was a local shop near me that sold a 2011 brand new highway one for 400$.

My MIA p cost me 600$ brand new with a gig bag at GC.

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Ok, then you are a better 'deal hunter' than I am ... heck, the case that is INCLUDED with them sells for close to $100 ... AmSpecs for $600 with a bag is a different story ... and the deals on the Hwy Ones at the time they were being discontinued were fairly rare, but were there if you hunted .. many of us on here picked them up in the $450 range, no tax, free shipping a while back too .. but that was a one time thing, unfortunately ...

.. my comment was simply that the '08+ AmStands at $650 (intact with original factory case) are simply not happening 'all day long' ... for sure at the top of your range $800-900 they are ..

11. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I have an active MIA 2000 Jazz Bass. It took a while for the neck to settle in and the strap knob is a bit loose but, the bass is well balanced, very light, and plays like a dream.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's the whole point.

There's ALWAYS another new deal. Watch and wait and dig through the Internet dealer sites. There have been some very long deals on new Fenders at Hello Music, as one example.

The day doesn't pass that some goober here doesn't post soliciting praise for paying way too much on CL for some old player with wear and pothead clawhammer-and-butterknife user "improvements."

:rollno:

I don't remember anyone posting a single used "deal" here I wouldn't have blown off without a second's hesitation. People pay more for used gear than I paid for the same piece new.

SHOP HARD FOR NEW GEAR!

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    95-98 was excellent. I just paid $1000 for a used 2009 and it is worth it!

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. I own a 2002 jazz and it needed help. Generally speaking the Fender quality upticked after 2008. But as others noted, gems can be found of the earlier basses.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's over $250 more than I paid for my American Standard Jazz 3CSB new.

QED. ;)

[I also thought I paid more than it was worth, too. :meh: ]

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Scholars may remember that the introduction of the "American" in 8/2000 was ballyhooed as a huge improvement in hand-detailing, fretwork, rolled fretboard and materials over the bad old "American Standard."

Took less than a year to blow through that. :rollno:

Note the absolutely identical hype from FMIC on the reintroduction of the "American Standard" in c.2008.

Took about a year to blow through that, too.

All that said (and aside from the disintegrating neck finish), I prefer the features of the early "American" basses to the current "American Standard" basses -- which I have never liked.

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Why did you start with 1999 ? I have a '98 that has been perfect in all aspects, neck, tuners, frets, finish, and more importantly, sound. I must have bought one of the better ones because the neck hardly ever needs adjustment, intonation never goes out of whack. It's a passive 4 string, and has been my main bass since then. Also, I hardly get the " humm " when favoring one pickup over the other. It has the tone of a vintage Jazz, especially on the bridge pickup. Maybe it was a good year for them, dunno, but I have never played one from that era that felt as good as, or sounded like this one.

18. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. which goes to support my earlier comment ...

"That 99-2000 range would be the tail end of the early Am Standards ... I have seen real good and good ... "

..like every year/model/etc from Fender, one thing remains consistent ... there will be inconsistency between basses ... I really have never seen one that was actually bad, but there were absolutely some merely adequate, all the way up to some that were exceptional ...

... and rather than just going back to jnewmark's '98, that entire run would have started in '95 ... there are many on here that absolutely love their Fenders from this era

19. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    A week ago I bought a dead-mint, closet-queen, 2003 Hwy1 sunburst J + gig bag, on ebay for $450 +$35. It hadn't ever had a truss rod adjustment, so the action was still high like it came from the factory. The worst thing about it was some reaction of the nitro finish on the backside with a guitar strap while it was in storage. Otherwise the guitar was flawless -- not even pickguard swirls. It was a great deal ... until the USPS had their way with it. :(

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have, ones that I couldn't imagine them shipping -- there have been some real jaw-droppers posted here, too, if you remember.

2011 was a bumper year for lemons, though some were also great.

Also note that they ship many of their QC fails as "used" these days (replacing "scratch and dent" stock, which was still warranted -- "used" is not). They'll never admit it, but they absolutely do.

It's not merely a matter of cherrypicking stock, but knowing what to look for -- and very few people really do. They just go by some vague emotional response. :rolleyes: