Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how are the behrINGer amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Sep 21, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i dont know about them, but my uncle offered to buy me one so does anyone own one or know anything about them? replies are greatly appreciated

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Which Behringer amps are you talking about? I tried out their little practice amp with the 8" speaker the other day to see how it compared with other cheap practice amps. It completely farted out on the low E with volume at 3 o'clock. Sounded pretty boxy as most do at that size. It was cheap though, about half the price of the Peavey Microbass. I'd still go Microbass though.

brad cook

3. You get what you pay for. 'Nough said. Behringer is German, so here in Holland they're darn cheap. And it shows. The stuff is cheaply made.

But on the other hand: it sounds very good, for the money. It's like one step up from Zoom.

4. I use a Behringer 12" UltraBass for a practice amp at home. It's good for the home use and as a compact amp to carry along for practicing with the group, however, it's heavier than it looks. It feels like a rock. The UltraBass is loaded with a lot of features that may interest you and is considered to be a 120 watt amp. It's got good tone up to about 3/4 volume (more than enough for practicing and sufficient for small gigs), but above that, the lows start to clip. I play a 5-string bass and this little amp handles even the low-B just fine. There are other brands of the same size and wattage that may have better volume and tone, but they cost twice the money. I'm pleased with mine for what I paid for it and would recommend it. I believe it is a good buy. When I'm in front of an audience, I prefer a larger, higher end unit though.